WWII Seabag Contents

NGCoastArtillery41

NGCoastArtillery41

Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am hoping to put together a a full WWII Seabag to include the uniforms, personal items, and any other issue items. My question here today is I have been able to find to the uniform contents that would go into the seabag, but I cannot find anything else beyond that.

I want to have all the issue equipment as well as personal items that sailors commonly carried with them as they walked up gang plank to get underway on a DE or DD.

Any suggestions where to look for this information?

heres a "Life" picture showing everything layed out, you should also be able to find what all goes in it and how to make it look right in Bluejackets Manual. There are 1940, 1943, and 1944 editions so youd need to figure out which is best suited for your needs...

post-125364-0-70323300-1421142540.jpg

In essence, the sailor only had the uniform items and whatever personal items he carried in his seabag, there really wasn't any other "equipment" he was issued. The only other thing he had was his hammock and mattress. The equipment belonged to the ship or station and he was issued it if he needed it and turned it in when he didn't need it or or left the ship.

Charlie

NGCoastArtillery41

I suppose in putting together this impression, I will have to leave my Army mindset behind of having all my equipment issued to me... and having to have 3 - 4 bags to carry it all.