Question for EGA experts....

strawberry 9

Typical Model 1937 enlisted cover emblem, used 37-55, I'd say based off the (remaining) finish that it's a WWII era

Looks like a jar of sand....Iwo Jima????

Correct! Or at least the seller says. I was watching it, but I think I'm going to pass on it. I wonder if it still smells of sulphur.

Leatherneck72

It's definitely Iwo sand. In actuality, unless you've been there, it's very hard to get your hands on the real thing.

It's definitely Iwo sand. In actuality, unless you've been there, it's very hard to get your hands on the real thing.

Even then I've heard it's become strictly regulated, since Marines used to fill their entire day packs with it.

A shame you're passing it up. Seen grams of sand sell for more than the starting price. It came from an estate filled with USMC items from a career Marine who served in three wars. He didnt serve on Iwo, but obviously pilgrimaged there as did so many other 3rd Division and 1MAW Marines ever stationed in Japan. I cleaned out his estate and still have bins full of his stuff.

Mike

A shame you're passing it up. Seen grams of sand sell for more than the starting price. It came from an estate filled with USMC items from a career Marine who served in three wars. He didnt serve on Iwo, but obviously pilgrimaged there as did so many other 3rd Division and 1MAW Marines ever stationed in Japan. I cleaned out his estate and still have bins full of his stuff.

Mike

It did catch my eye. Who knows, we'll see what the price goes to. I've been known to throw down some last minute bids.