B17-F Flying Fortress

ArtyScout

To Moderator Lars, and Site Curator ProudKraut, My apologies, I'm sorry for the MG42 post. It won't happen again. So in keeping with the theme and tradition of this site, I'm posting this. This B17F is a labor of love. My son gave it to me to build for his son, my grandson. It is my first airplane. the kit is from Revell @ 1/48scale and I found out that it can be a 'bitch' of a kit to build, besides that I really did not want to paint it in silver. lol. One thing I have learned about the B17, like the P51, the Spitfire and the F4U Corsair. This plane does not photograph bad. With its sleek smooth contour lines there is no way you can take a bad photo of this aircraft. I was going to have a landing tarmac and background ready to photograph it on, but my grandson came over, he was so enamored with his planepost-156853-0-86854800-1421099606.jpgpost-156853-0-21938100-1421099618.jpgpost-156853-0-84662800-1421099627.jpg that I cancelled that idea and I gifted him his B17-F. So enjoy and as always all comments and recommendation are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

Manny

It came out beautifully,

I remember the B17G as having the chin turret, and now learned that the final production run of B17F's had the Bendix remote control chin turret. Learn something new everyday.

Another superb model! Planes are not my focus of modeling but this one really looks great. Did you use airbrush arylics? Top job with the decals as well, no "silver-borders" at all.

Thanks for sharing!

Lars

Another superb model! Planes are not my focus of modeling but this one really looks great. Did you use airbrush arylics? Top job with the decals as well, no "silver-borders" at all.

Thanks for sharing!

Lars

Thank you for the compliment. Yes I used airbrushed acrylics, it's the medium of paint I prefer to use. The decals were excellent to work with. I'm glad you like it.

Semper Fi

Manny

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Backtheattack

BrianS, the Bendix chin turret is an interesting part of the plane. While working on a exhibition at Magdeburg we talk about this version of the B-17 sometimes. Since we work on this exhibition the B-17 is a new part of interest for myself.

I checked out the FineScale Modeller magazine website. I submitted this photo and recently found out that it's going to be in April 2015 edition in the Reader's Gallery. I was tremendously excited since this is the 1st time any of my work has graced their magazine.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-90096700-1421099901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Great work Manny! The B-17 is a wonderful looking plane. Aircraft are very tough to build and paint. The are unforgiving models, there is no dummying up a mistake with mud, battle damage or hanging a pack, tarp or camo net over it, you have to get it right. You got it right, you did an excellent job. The paint and decals are excellent.

Well done.

Dennis

Beautiful job. I hope the little tyke takes good care of it ( something I rarely did myself as a kid). I used to hang older plane models from a zip line affair I would rig up from my 2nd story bedroom window to the ground about 50 feet out by heating up paperclips and pushing them through the plastic at the nose and tail and then hanging the plane on the line (with a string attached so I could pull it back up). Down it went with me letting loose with whatever BB gun I happened to have at the time. Closest I ever came to a dogfight. I wish I still had the patence and eyesight to make models. Again - a beautiful B-17. Thanks for sharing.