German flag center

mvmhm

I got call from a man in mid-December saying he had a German flag center his grandfather had given him and it was just sitting in the bottom of his closet - and if i wanted it; it arrived today.

It's about 3 feet across...nothing too sexy there, but note how the edges are frayed and not cut? The soldiers wife decided she could use the red material to make a dress.....the banner was single sided (the swastika is printed on one side only)..she apparently just ripped the center from the banner so she would have the maximum amount of red material (vice cutting the whole center out).

The grandson said his grandfather served with Patton and was in Bastogne - of course I don't have any other doco to back that up. The edges have a lot of strings hanging off but those got cropped. Also shown is his grave marker.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-10628800-1421097102.jpg

post-3423-0-37876300-1421097108.jpg

I'll ask the grandson...he mentioned that they have some other items and medals from his Grandfather...it would be nice if she did have her picture taken.

Mark sends

USCapturephotos

Hey Mark. Thanks for sharing. You know, collecting GI war souvenirs I have been told a similar story...I forget which veteran's family told me that now, but the vet brought home the flag and his mother or wife cut out the red material to be used for an apron or something like that. I actually just received the best GI captured flag I have found to date in the mail today. It's signed by approximately 50 veterans and they hand painted the unit designation above and below the swastika. I will try and post it later.

Paul

• 5 months later...