Louisiana

labelkills254

labelkills254

I'm stationed down here at Fort Polk and although I have found a few decent antique stores there isn't much around. Any suggestions?

There's a place in DeRidder & thats all I've found so far - maybe the gun shows that come thru Alexandria or Lake Charles

I'm going to a banquet in Lafayette next Saturday & was gonna leave early & see what I can find in the small towns driving down there - I'll let you know

Not much in Leesville (that goes for more than just Antiques).

The so-called surplus store on Entrance Road has a buyer from Alexandria for whom they hold anything even remotely old or valuable, or so I was told. It's also quite likely the dumpiest place on the planet (even by west central Louisiana standards).

DeRidder has at least two "decent" antique stores, and a decent surplus store. I found stuff at all three places from time to time. Also check out the little military museum at the DeRidder USO Hall, nothing for sale but some neat stuff to look at that you might not other wise know was there.

As for Lafayette, there is a an antique shop there that also deals in militaria, unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was pretty small and the militaria offerings were slim. The Jocky Lot Flea Market might also be worth a shot of you are in town on the weekend. The town of Breaux Bridge (just east of Lafayette) has several good antique stores and is the one place I consistently found WWII stuff.

I never found anything worth while in either Lake Charles or Alexandria, but both have several antique stores so you might want to give it a try. Jasper TX also has several antique stores and isn't much further away.

There are also several smaller towns off of I-49 between Alexandria and Lake Charles that have several antique stores, such as Grand Coteau, Sunset, Washington, and Opelousas.

A day trip of Lafayette is worth it if no other reason than the food is better (that town has some really great Cajun restaurants).

Also,

Nachitoches has a noticeable lack of antique stores, considering its a historic town, local Bed and Breakfast destination, and where they filmed "Steel Magnolias". Seems like it should have an antique mall, but I never found one.

I never got to hunt around in Shreveport/Bossier City, but there might be some stuff up there. They have gun shows there as well, might be worth a try. They also have a decent museum at Barksdale AFB.

There is a Militaria Show at least once a year in Gulfport Mississippi, which is far but a good excuse to go to New Orleans.

Houston (which after being at Polk for a while I started to feel wasn't really that far away) has some larger gun shows that have militaria dealers. I found a few things there. They also have a variety of antique stores (and good mexican food).

Almost forgot, Denham Springs (just east of Baton Rouge) has a whole Antiques district with a few blocks of stores, worth checking out if you are by that way.

If you find your self in Houma, they have a descent little military museum. There are a few "junk shops down here, but the military pickings are very slim. Having said that, you never know what you will find. Good luck and have a safe trip.