1942 OD#5 Jungle Pack!

josegarcia8578

Volunteer Armory,

That is good info and if what your saying is correct, then my pack is still perfect in the current condition its in? Is there any more info about trying to preserve this pack aside from maybe spot cleaning it instead of throwing it in the washing machine on gentle cycle?

I wouldn't recommend a washing machine or detergent at all. The only way to clean up your Pack is hand washing in medium-temp water with Woolite. Don't use anything with bleach, whatever you do!

Government Issue

Thanks guys. The jungle pack does look massive though in comparison to a 28 haversack. The film footage I've watched from the PTO shows the troops packed this thing with ALL it could hold. They look like their heaving mini mattresses on their backs.

LOL- yeah, that's one thing I've never seen in Wartime photos: a half-filled, baggy looking Jungle or Field Pack :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

josegarcia8578,

I have that strong musty smell in the pack, though its not a moldy smell. It just smells like cotton canvas when its never washed and its been to the field far too many times. That and it has a bit of ground in unknown that whoever had it before me dragged it through something smelly. Sorry, its very hard to describe. Any help would be appreciated.