1942 OD#5 Jungle Pack!

josegarcia8578

josegarcia8578

It took me a little bit to find it, but here's a pinned article about the packs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1059-jungle-packs-m43-field-packs/

Flage Guy - thanks for the clarification about the ETO :)

Peter

Thanks for the link, Peter. Read it all, very informational.

Thanks Flare guy! Really a fan of these packs now!

Where do you guys get tags Q.M.C catalogs from?

The Q.M. Catalogues and studies are all reprinted by National Capitol Historical Sales, by long-time owner George Peterson.

No collector should be without 'em; they are invaluable.

Oops- UPDATE: I just visited the N.C.H.S. site, and didn't see "Quartermaster Equipment for Special Forces", from where I got that photo!

Hayes Otoupalik has it, though...(whew)

You won't regret it...it has sections on Jungle, Desert, Arctic and Mountain clothing and gear, with a lot of good pictures.

josegarcia8578

I bet! I found three of them on their site, 1 Early war, 1 late war, and 1 for posts and camps. Are those all?

There are 4 more:

"QM 3-4...List of Items for Troops, Miscellaneous Organizational Equipment"

"QM 6...Quartermaster Catalogue- Chests, Kits, Outfits and Sets"

"Med 3...Medical Supply Catalogue"

"Clothing the Soldier of World War II...QMC Historical Studies"

josegarcia8578

Thanks for the links! I'll be purchasing them soon!

Yeah I noticed the mistake, I spotted it! I guess I can truly differentiate the field pack from the jungle pack now haha

Thanks!

Des Moines Glove and Mfg Co

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines_Saddlery_Company_Building

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/page/1947feb31-40.pdf

Those are fun packs, certainly more comfortable than the 1910/1928 Haversack.

Peter

Thanks very much for those links!

These 2 Belts must have been made by the shoe company which had occupied a section of that old building...

post-3226-0-65570600-1421078402.jpg

post-3226-0-72273400-1421078415.jpg

Guys,

Des Moines Glove and DM Shoe or Des Moines Shoes are two different company's but both are from Des Moines, Iowa. Nice transition belt Flage Guy! whats the front look like? Other Iowa WWII canvas gear makers are Boyt Des Moines, Iowa and Hinson from Waterloo, Iowa

Craig

Ah, so Hinson is in Iowa too! I've got 2 Hinson 'flage Jungle Packs; interestingly, neither of them have the closure strap retainer buckles (Post #18), which mark them (in my mind, at least) as early '43 production.

Craig, here is a frontal shot of the transitional "D.M. Shoe" Belt...

post-3226-0-81129000-1421131278.jpeg

That's a nice belt! I have a DM Shoes '43 belt in the transitional colors and near the same colors but not as much OD #3 canvas in the construction of it that's very interesting. Transitional and Brit made US gear are my favorite.

I was at a military show a few years ago and a guy had a mint transitional colors M1943 jungle pack wasn't for sale but was the coolest pack I ever seen.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the comment. I love that stuff too, and have a whole display rack which is festooned almost entirely with "transitional" multicolored stuff.

Here's a thread you'll like...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2121-mismatched-colors-of-webbing/

josegarcia8578

Craig, thanks for the comment. I love that stuff too, and have a whole display rack which is festooned almost entirely with "transitional" multicolored stuff.

Here's a thread you'll like...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2121-mismatched-colors-of-webbing/

Wow I love that transition mountain rucksack! If you ever want to part with it, let me know Flage Guy!

• 6 months later...

I was wondering. I just purchased a camouflaged jungle pack not too long ago and it is missing the spring clips that are on the backside which clip into the ammo belt. Are the any manufacturing outlets that make and sell reproduction items? Such as items, like the spring clips?

Thanks

VolunteerArmoury

I understand many took those off their packs. I have a couple packs with them intact but most are without them. I chose to not restore them since I don't know if the veteran removed them or some outdoors person later but it is representative of what troops did. However if you still want to restore them I think o have an old M1928 pack that's mostly only good for parts & has the same type of clips.

Volunteer Armory,

That is good info and if what your saying is correct, then my pack is still perfect in the current condition its in? Is there any more info about trying to preserve this pack aside from maybe spot cleaning it instead of throwing it in the washing machine on gentle cycle?

Government Issue

There are pics of the OD packs in use by the army as early as Buna in '42 and can be found throughout the Solomon Island's campaign in 1943. I've never handled one of these but they look huge! How many compartments does it have?

josegarcia8578

There are pics of the OD packs in use by the army as early as Buna in '42 and can be found throughout the Solomon Island's campaign in 1943. I've never handled one of these but they look huge! How many compartments does it have?

Government Issue,

I wouldn't say that they are large, maybe medium? Here is a picture to compare next to a size 36 pile jacket liner:

post-153602-0-21305100-1439436648.jpg