1942 OD#5 Jungle Pack!

josegarcia8578

josegarcia8578

Happy Sunday!

I recently found this pack! I love it! It appears to be a jungle pack, its dated 1942. I can't really read the manufacturing stamp: it seems like "Dos Molacs Glove MFG & CO". Can someone confirm this?

Overall pictures:

post-153602-0-02216300-1421027076.jpg

post-153602-0-19610000-1421027082.jpg

josegarcia8578

Manufacturing Stamp: Not sure but I think it reads "Dos Molacs Glove MFG & CO"? Can anyone confirm this?

Any comments are appreciated!

Happy hunting,

Jose

post-153602-0-37991000-1421027372.jpg

josegarcia8578

Yes thanks for the confirmation, it is from Des Moines Glove & Mfg. Co.!

Here is an AD from the company I found!

post-153602-0-39182200-1421028330.png

josegarcia8578

Thanks to everyone that confirmed the manufacture! Peter it was really cool seeing the building, I appreciate. And thanks dave!

Now A way to splay it along with my M1928 pack!

josegarcia8578

Another quick question:

Where these strictly USMC? Or where they issued also to the Army? Just used in the Pacific Theater? I'm just curious of the background of the pack.

Not exclusive to the USMC. I have an After Action Report for the 716th Tank Bn landing on Luzon that mentions the jungle packs. I also remember a photo attributed to the ETO with a unit carrying jungle packs.

Peter

josegarcia8578

Not exclusive to the USMC. I have an After Action Report for the 716th Tank Bn landing on Luzon that mentions the jungle packs. I also remember a photo attributed to the ETO with a unit carrying jungle packs.

Peter

Thanks for the clarification, peter. Must be a fun read!

Des Moines Glove and Mfg Co jungle packs are all dated 1942 is what I've found and the camo's are made in 1943. The 1942 I have is mint and it's a more harder manufactor to find in the Jungle packs.

The '42 O.D. and '43 camouflaged Jungle Packs were used only (as far as I know, anyway) in the P.T.O., but the '43-44 enlarged O.D. #7 Jungle/Field Packs were used in both Theaters of Operations. The 'flage J.P.s are identical in size to the '42s; below is a "G. & R. Co. 1943" 'flage sitting next to a "BOYT -43-" Jungle/Field Pack. The 'flage Pack is filled up more than the other one, but you can still see the difference in size.

post-3226-0-60522400-1421031998.jpg

josegarcia8578

The '42 O.D. and '43 camouflaged Jungle Packs were used only (as far as I know, anyway) in the P.T.O., but the '43-44 enlarged O.D. #7 Jungle/Field Packs were used in both Theaters of Operations. The 'flage J.P.s are identical in size to the '42s; below is a "G. & R. Co. 1943" 'flage sitting next to a "BOYT -43-" Jungle/Field Pack. The 'flage Pack is filled up more than the other one, but you can still see the difference in size.

Nice packs! I want a camo one, once I save up! Sorry I'm still a bit confused between the jungle pack and field pack. On your picture, the camo one is a jungle pack, correct? Is the OD one a Field pack? Also, do you mind clarifying the "flage" term?

I appreciate it!

LOL- Sorry- the term " 'flage" is just an idiotic word I made up many years ago which is just short for "camouflage".

Yeah, the camo Pack is a true Jungle Pack, as is the O.D. one you just picked up. They are both identical, with the exception of some of the later camouflaged Packs being modified with closure strap retaining buckles on the Pack's body (below). These were also fitted onto the Field Packs when they were produced.

post-3226-0-58839300-1421033959.jpg

josegarcia8578

Lol! Okay I see how you made that word up hahaha

Got it! So the only difference between the Jungle packs and the Field packs is the size and year of production?

Lol! Okay I see how you made that word up hahaha

Got it! So the only difference between the Jungle packs and the Field packs is the size and year of production?

Yes, other than the small keeper buckles, that is the only real difference.

Here is a pic from the Army Q.M.C. study which describes the development of the Jungle and Field Packs. The Pack in the photo is the then-new Field Pack, as evidenced by the keeper buckle (marked):

post-3226-0-61330900-1421035406.jpg

josegarcia8578

Yes, other than the small keeper buckles, that is the only real difference.

Here is a pic from the Army Q.M.C. study which describes the development of the Jungle and Field Packs. The Pack in the photo is the then-new Field Pack, as evidenced by the keeper buckle (marked):

Thanks Flare guy! Really a fan of these packs now!

Where do you guys get tags Q.M.C catalogs from?

It took me a little bit to find it, but here's a pinned article about the packs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1059-jungle-packs-m43-field-packs/

Flage Guy - thanks for the clarification about the ETO :)

Peter

My pleasure!

I guess I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by linking that thread myself! :lol: