WWII 31st INFANTRY OFFICER POW GROUP + HIS GEAR FROM BATAAN ! Walter J. Hinkle

KASTAUFFER

24th_infantry

That is just amazing! Words cannot explain how I feel after reading this. I've never seen a POW grouping as amazing as this. The items really tell of his experiences.

a16.png.c56d9f5bed3975c396897e358e63f267.png

Photo of the Bronze Star presentation and the citation. He earned it the day he was wounded on Bataan.

IMG_2388.JPG

Thats the end of the thread ! I dedicate this thread to the men of the 31st Infantry and all the defenders of the Philippines, including my Uncle Arthur E. Storts of the 200th CA - POW Camp O'Donnell, Cabanatuan, and BIlibid.

Speechless.

I mean, look at all of those wonderful pieces. It's a true timeline that chronicle's his journey. Thank you again for sharing and preserving their history!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
firefighter

Beautiful grouping. The PI made unit citations on the hat are nice.

Walter J. Hinkle - Prisoner of War Record

Held in PW Camp #2 near Davao, Mindanao, Philippines

Walter J. Hinkle was a First Lieutenant in the Army during World War II. Walter was captured by Imperial Japan while serving in the Philippine Islands, and was sent toPW Camp #2 near Davao, Mindanao, Philippines where 540 other American POWs were held. Walter's capture was first reported to the International Committee of the Red Cross on May 7, 1942, and the last report was made on March 2, 1945. Based on these two reports, Walter was imprisoned for at least 1,030 days (2 years and ~11 months), one of the longest durations of captivity recorded. Ultimately, Walter was returned to military control, liberated or repatriated.

Here is a newspaper article. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1945/07/30/page/13/article/liberated-war-prisoner-and-his-bride

• 11 months later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Bataan.

Kurt

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

INCREDIBLE grouping I know this is a late post . On the musette bag is the Peleilu marking the same one US Forces invaded??