Help with WW2 USN 1st Mar Div Doctor Uniform

Hessian

I picked this up last year in a grouping of other uniforms. I held onto it because I'd never seen a set of Navy Grays with a USMC SSI. The name in the tag is E.K. Brummer. Can anyone verify this name being part of the medical 1st MarDiv?

The ribbons are directly sewn to the uniform.

Thanks

post-4618-0-04322400-1420947731.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Got nothing on the Bronze Star but have a USN Commander Endre K. Brunner who was wounded in action Feb. 15, 1945 while attached to Sixth Amphibious Group Pacific.

Kurt

Thanks for the assist Kurt and the nice comments from everyone.

I took a photo of the tailor label and it clearly says Lt Com E.K. Brummer. That's two "M"s vs. the 'BruNNer" that you mention Kurt. I wonder if it's the same guy?

post-4618-0-43705600-1421098779.jpg

I looked through my copies of the 1943 and 1944 officer's register and did not find an E K Brummer. The 1944 register does show Brunner as a Lt. Cmdr. I think this is your best lead.

Kurt Barickman

Yes I am pretty sure Brunner is your man. I have seen far worse spelling errors. Did you google his name and read up about him yet? I think you will find some pretty interesting information about him.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
Elizabeth Carroll Nalls

Gentlemen, I can help you. The uniform clearly belonged to my grandfather, Dr. Endre K. Brunner - a Naval Medical Officer assigned to the Marines. He was an amazing man with an incredible life story. He was born in Debrecen, Hungary in 1900, the son of an opthamologist. He fought in the Austro-Hungarian Army in WWI (Italian Front), escaped from Hungary (Romanian occupation) and came to the U.S. with the aid of an uncle in New York, and finished his medical training at New York University (although, when he discovered that the US had imposed Prohibition, he said he had his doubts...). When WWII broke out, he volunteered to serve his new country, shut down his Park Avenue medical practice, and spent the next six or so years in the military. He saw some of the most horrific battles. During one, he kept losing young Marines on his operating table on the ship so (according to family lore, against orders) he got into a landing craft and set up his surgery on the beach. He was hit by shrapnel, and after operating on himself, resumed operating on others. (Again, according to family lore) the Admiral (pos Royal) sent an MP team ashore to drag him back to the ship. In addition to the Purple Heart, he was awarded a Bronze Star. He wrote a really interesting paper on amphibious warfare medicine - available online. Returning to the U.S., he ran several VA Hospitals - and Rutland Heights State Hospital in Mass later on. Around 1960, he joined the newly-established US Agency for International Development and served in Paraguay, Bolivia, and Libya helping those developing countries set up public health systems. He contined as a hospital administrator well into his 70s, and continued teaching well into his 90s. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Thank you for posting the picture of the uniform - it was very interesting to see. Elizabeth

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for posting this information about your Grandfathers service on our forum. It's the kind of first hand information that collectors yearn for when researching the items we acquire. It is truly a unique uniform as was his participation in some major campaigns during the war. The patch, campaign ribbons and date of his wound tell quite a story to our knowledgeable members.

Kurt Barickman

Elizabeth, thanks for posting and validating my research . Curious as to your comments about his other books he published?

Thanks again,

Kurt

Hello Elizabeth,

Thanks for providing a human connection to the uniform.... It looks a bit different on the hanger now, knowing more about the previous owner. I have sent you a Persona Message (PM) via the forum.

Thank you again for the information.

DM

Random about Rutland Heights State Hospital, my ex who lives in rutlands grand parents house's chimmey is made from bricks that were salvaged when it was torn down. Nice uniform!

Elizabeth Carroll Nalls

Hi, Kurt. You asked about Endre Brunner's books. Most of them were medical, but he did write an article on amphibious medicine (some of the trial and error they went through). Regards, Elizabeth

442 SURVEY GRAPHIC Amphibious Medicine Here is the dramatic story of naval medical victories as we invaded enemy strongholds, whether on the beaches of Europe or the islands of the Pacific. COMMANDER ENDRE K. BRUNNER, M.C., U.S, R. 

Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/stream/surveygraphic34survrich/surveygraphic34survrich_djvu.txt