Captured Enemy Aircraft in US Markings.

patches

Air Techincal Intellegence Unit (ATIU), Allied Air Forces Secret Operations, Eagle Farms Brisbane. This unit tested Japanese Aircraft that fell into Allied hands from the South West Pacific.

A Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony flies above Australia.

post-34986-0-36455600-1420946478.jpg

And a Nakajima Ki 43 Oscar from the same unit.

post-34986-0-60991700-1420946457.jpg

Both Aircraft have U.S. marking, do doubt to protect the pilots from friendly fire, uncertain if these and those like them would of been used in actual combat missions.

wonder if the tail number on the Tony means ex-jap003 ha ha ha I know it probably means experimental Japan. I couldn't help it though. thanks for sharing.

There are all kinds of photos from both the Pacific, and ETO/MTO. Often front line units that occupied former enemy airfields would capture and then fly enemy birds. I think every fighter unit in the MTO had their own 109.

Then there were those sent to specific testing units like Patches mentions and that includes in the states, The Museum Luftwaffe and Japanese birds in the US most all wore US markings at one point or another during their evaluations.

Air Techincal Intellegence Unit (ATIU), Allied Air Forces Secret Operations, Eagle Farms Brisbane. This unit tested Japanese Aircraft that fell into Allied hands from the South West Pacific.

A Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony flies above Australia.

attachicon.giftony.jpg

And a Nakajima Ki 43 Oscar from the same unit.

attachicon.gifoscar01.jpg

Both Aircraft have U.S. marking, do doubt to protect the pilots from friendly fire, uncertain if these and those like them would of been used in actual combat missions.

VERY doubtful to use on combat missions for several reasons

Logistical- Spares and Ammo not in allied supply chain and difference in aviation octane

Numbers operational- not enough of one type for a flight section sending 1 or 2 is an invite to loss

Markings or not allied pilots would assume enemy A/C and engage

Shape would invite Allied AA gunners to engage

Possibility of severe punishment for pilot if captured flying Japanese A/C by Japanese

I have heard & read several times that the 83rd division had a German plane (among a lot of other stuff) when racing through Germany earning themselves the name Rag Tag Circus. Have never seen pictures of it although.

This is the only one I have in my collection. I THINK it is a Nakajima Ki 43, known as an Oscar.

They look like they're in a jungle environment, meaning they're in or near the combat zone.