Modern Arctic gear and uniforms

msgt norway

Salvage Sailor

There ya go......

The harness for the scow in the initial thread photo. Great find msgt Norway, hope you've assembled all of the pieces by now.

11_07_10_003.jpg

Hello fellow Arctic trooper's. Served with B 4/327 172nd LIB and B 1/17 Inf 6th ID (L) from 85-88. I remember pulling the akio and getting run over going down hill. The suicide slats and vb boots were a bad combo ( no ankle support) as for the Artic canteen the stopper was always getting caught on branches and draining the cold contents down your leg. That being said I still have a parka,field pants,wool shirt ,trigger fingers and the infamous blue bakahoochie.We were just starting to get the gore tex and fleece clothing when I pcs'd.I loved my time in Alaska and I if I could I would do it all over.Msgt Norway those over white are way to clean, you need to clean your Yukon stove and pipe then post a picture lol. what type of gear does the Norwegian military issue

salvage sailor:Great find msgt Norway, hope you've assembled all of the pieces by now. dont have the harness yet..

bummer:what type of gear does the Norwegian military issue,now they use fleece and goretex.

cheers ken :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

I recently added to my canteen collection what I think it's the newest model of U.S. military Arctic canteen. It must have taken the place of this model:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=62062

The new canteen itself is marked "U.S. CAGE CODE : 03WJ4 2004."

The cup is marked "US 1993 80692."

The carrier is marked:

CARRIER, WATER CANTEEN

COLD WEATHER CRS

DLA 100 - 98C - 4019

8465-01-314-4236

TENNTEC INC.

Below is a photo of the new addition. It is extremely well made.

post-70-1312630208.jpg

msgt norway

i tougth you ment i should post pictures of it when i did one of my

live displays :)

my cover is DLA 100-93-C-4019

the rest is same on the cover as gunbarrel

cup 1993 date

canteen,2001 cage code03WJ4

cheers ken,norway

msgt norway

no need to be sorry gunbarrel :lol:

il see if i can fix a few pictures of mine canteen tomorrow,been slow on posting pictures

since i change job .more job=more money to gett stuff :thumbsup:

cheers ken

I'm sorry, Ken :unsure: I didn't mean to steal your thunder. :think:

I'm just poking him. I sold him one and and said that I would wanted to see a picture of it in one of his famous Ken displays.

Now Ken, that is some good news to hear, got a better paying job, I'll start looking for more gear for you!

Ken,

This type of sled at one time was referred to as an Akhio sled. A 10 man insulated tent, poles, arctic stove, gas, tripod poles for gas tank, lantern, candles, axe, were just some of the items that were carried in them.

A sort of dog harness was attached to the front for several men to pull the sled on skis or snowshoes. I don't know what the current designation is for these or if they changed much, does not appear to be much from the pics. Jeff

I see by your avatar that you where a manchu, i to am very familiar with this piece of equipment, i was in the 4/9 inf, and we routinly towed these behind are snowmobiles.

msgt norway

here is my canteen :thumbsup:

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

the last one of the how to use and clean patch did come out bad on the picture.

cheers ken

My, that sure is a pretty canteen :thumbsup: I think it is even better looking than Gunbarrels!

LOL...I must admit, it's VERY nice. Oh, well, can't win them all! :lol:

It was the 172nd Light Arctic Mountain Infantry Brigade when I was there. I believe the reflag to 6th LID happened sometime in the 1980s. Here's some photos of glacier gear and training, not sure which glacier.

Those photos sure bring back a load of memories, i to have dozens and dozens of photos from my two trips to the glaciers,maybe i can refresh yours in this regard, i did'nt catch your unit, but i was in the 4/9th, july 1981-dec 1982, in the summer of 81,our company, went to the glaciers above Black Rapids,that little post located on the richardson highway, here we chopper-ed out of and up in to the glaiciers. In 1982 our company went way down south to the glaciers above cordova, i accualy remember arriving and leaving out of the cordova civilian airport,before leaving we where graciously put up for the night before returing to ft wainwright at the adjacent u.s. coast guard station. On this particular trip, we where semi tactical and thus had full gear and weapons, and marching to the airport, made a impresion on the local folks who never in my estimation seen profesional troops in that neck of the woods, moving down their roads on eitherside, caused a spectical, and people came out on the roads to see what all the excitement was about, and caused alot of rubbernecking by passing motorists.

We while waiting seen the arival of an alaska airways flight, and the used the moblie stairway to exit the plane, the passengers where quite suprised and we liked to think the stewardess' quite impressed to see such a fine body of armed soldiers standing about. We flew in by C130 and would be flying out by same, they started to come in after that alsaka airways taxied away to park, the planes landed, and to our suprise, troops exited, these as it would turn out where are arch rivals the tomahawks of a company from the 4/23 inf come over from ft richardson, to do their period on the glaciers above cordova, it was a memorable time cordova, while on solid dirt in our bivouac one afternoon each platoon was given a three hour period where we where trucked into the town ( I can,t remember where the trucks where from, thats the dardest thing, it's in all likelyness they where ours and that they drove down the day before we left by plane) all of us going to stores to buy beer, me and some of my buddies drank behide the store, some went to a bar, here we whereall dirty and had to wear are rain suitsas it was raining but i allways remember that small bit of time there, one of my buddies transfered to echo recon shortly afterwards, and he apparently went AWOL to run away with a chick he met briefly in cordova,cutting out from wainwright and traviling south, i think to this day 29 years later he's still out there in the alaska somewhere LOL, by the time i ETS i never heard of him getting busted. On another topic about helmet chinstraps i left a story that occured at the cordova glacier training problem that you and other former snowhawks might find of interrest, it deals with an tragic accident while there, another reason why it was a memorable time.

Didn't see one posted yet but here is a Arctic white helmet cover for the MICH/ACH helmets. Didn't really know how to take a good pic of it as is and didn't have the patience to install it on the helmet.

toprn.jpg

rearqz.jpg

labelnr.jpg