Modern Arctic gear and uniforms

msgt norway

Hey, I just found my old mountain boots. Pictured are the boots, they are high tops (they also had low top variety), felt insoles and wool hiking socks. Most guys couldn't stand the feel of wool on their feet so they would wear the regular green socks. The insert picture shows the grooved heel for use with cable ski bindings.

Greg Robinson
When the 80s rolled around the winter garrison caps were just BDU caps. The first BDU caps were manufactured indentical to the old green "patrol" cap with earflaps. My nomenclature for most of these clothing items is usually soldier talk so I wouldn't know that the proper nomenclature for the "patrol" cap is the Cap, Field, Cotton, Wind Resistant Poplin, M-1951.

The "patrol" cap pattern was first adopted in August 1950 as the CAP, FIELD, COTTON, OD, WITH VISOR. From what I've seen the M1951 nomenclature was added post Korean War.

post-4-1216502439.jpg

Holey Moley Ken!

That stuff looks like what you would see in little white plastic bags after a rough C-130 ride ... and you ate that?

Just kidding ...Bon Appetit!

BEAR

msgt norway

thanks for the nice reply laughing1.gif i kind of reenact when using the uniforms

and eating mres from the same time period.

i do not reenact but like to use them and take pictures,i do not wear real old stock uniforms

in the field only when taking pictures since they are relics for me and my privat museum thumbsup.gif

btw do any have a spare od helmet liner and a cold weather cap with the fluffy liner look

for sale or trade?

cheers from ken,wil soon post pictures of my arctic gear

msgt norway

here is some of my arctic gear!

10 man arctic tent

tent.jpg

overwhites 78 cotton

overwhites78.jpg

overwhites 96 nylon

overwhites96.jpg

arctic cantens

arcticcanteens.jpg

skies and magnesium snowshoes with vb boots

vbboots.jpg

arctic mask

mask.jpg

cheers from ken

msgt norway

more thumbsup.gif

mittens with snow cover

mittens.jpg

goretex gloves ca 1996

goretexgloves96.jpg

usmc scarf 1986

scarf86.jpg

my beaver tail parke 1974

parka74.jpg

pasgt helmet cover

pasgthelmetcover.jpg

cheers from ken

Ken,

Sorry for the slow reply but it's been a hectic week and the next three weeks will be the same.

The OG helmet liner is not mine and I'm keeping the pile cap for sentimental reasons.

By the way, does your tent have the arctic liner in it?

BEAR

Hello Folks,

To add to this topic, here is a cold weather shirt that turned up in a used clothing shop recently. It is dated 1956, and appears never to have been worn more than once.

2686838460103528845S425x425Q85.jpg

2124483360103528845S425x425Q85.jpg

2377161020103528845S500x500Q85.jpg

These shirts were also used by the Canadian Forces until very recently, so they are rather common here in Canada as Canadian surplus as well.

A

msgt norway

yes i have the liner for the tent,and i have 2 stoves complet and a bunch of fuel cans

the 5gal can holder and about 300 tent pegs in steel and aluminium...

and camo nets arctic and summer with the poles to keep it up.

cheers from ken

msgt norway

here is a taste test i did of 2 different us arctic mres.

IM000951.jpg

IM000954.jpg

IM000956.jpg

IM000959.jpg

IM000962.jpg

IM000960.jpg

IM000964.jpg

IM000965.jpg

IM000966-1.jpg

IM000969.jpg

cheers from ken. btw more ration info can be found at: mreinfo.com

and broken down into components... I have two of these, complete... these are 1982 one is an LS 84 with a somewhat used cover, the other is a Wyott 82, with a mint looking cover. Both have the Arctic Canteen cup with them.

Wayne

post-3743-1217715770.jpg

here is a taste test i did of 2 different us arctic mres.

cheers from ken. btw more ration info can be found at: mreinfo.com

That just goes to show how long I've been out of the loop ... didn't know they had arctic MREs. I know they were testing them when I retired but didn't know the were in the system.

Yeah, you young guys just don't know how tough we had it. Try eating a frozen can of 'Beef n Shrapnel' when it's -40 degrees F. (Actually I never had to either... but it sounded good).

BEAR

I just retired, and I remember eating the "C" Rations... Green eggs and ham, and Ham and mother.... well, you get the idea. LOL There wasnt anything in the C Rations that couldnt be made better with judicious use of a little Tobasco!!! Even the beef and Potatoes (in congealed grease gravy) tasted pretty good, and you even got a Chocolate toffee bar (in the B-3 Unit) or a John Wayne bar (in the B-1 Unit) for desert!!! Honestly though, when hot, the C Rations were all pretty good, and you got either flavored cheese or peanut butter or jelly for your crackers. You would think the army never heard of Peanut Butter and Jelly... because you NEVER get them both in the same packaging!!! Now the first issue MRE's... Good lord... those were some nasty rations! I loved the monikers we used for them too... MRE... three lies for the price of one. MRE... MR. E (pronounced Mystery, cause we sure didnt know what was in em!!!) And my all time Favorite... MRE... Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I have, from time to time had the opportunity to try pretty much all the foodstuffs the Army has had out since 1980. C Rations, LRRP Rations, MREs (Brown bag, and all the versions of the tan bagged ones), Arctic Rations, T Rations and the humanitarian rations. I will say this though. I have had the opportunity to trade rations with other nations... France and British rations I've had weren't the best... of course, when you trade, you rarely give up what you like... German rations weren't too bad, but hey, our troops are probably the best fed troops on the battle field. Kudos to the Nattick labs who develop it all.

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...
I just retired, and I remember eating the "C" Rations... Green eggs and ham, and Ham and mother.... well, you get the idea. LOL There wasnt anything in the C Rations that couldnt be made better with judicious use of a little Tobasco!!! Even the beef and Potatoes (in congealed grease gravy) tasted pretty good, and you even got a Chocolate toffee bar (in the B-3 Unit) or a John Wayne bar (in the B-1 Unit) for desert!!! Honestly though, when hot, the C Rations were all pretty good, and you got either flavored cheese or peanut butter or jelly for your crackers. You would think the army never heard of Peanut Butter and Jelly... because you NEVER get them both in the same packaging!!! Now the first issue MRE's... Good lord... those were some nasty rations! I loved the monikers we used for them too... MRE... three lies for the price of one. MRE... MR. E (pronounced Mystery, cause we sure didnt know what was in em!!!) And my all time Favorite... MRE... Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I have, from time to time had the opportunity to try pretty much all the foodstuffs the Army has had out since 1980. C Rations, LRRP Rations, MREs (Brown bag, and all the versions of the tan bagged ones), Arctic Rations, T Rations and the humanitarian rations. I will say this though. I have had the opportunity to trade rations with other nations... France and British rations I've had weren't the best... of course, when you trade, you rarely give up what you like... German rations weren't too bad, but hey, our troops are probably the best fed troops on the battle field. Kudos to the Nattick labs who develop it all.

Wayne

Amen brother, beats the heck out of a sack of rice, some salt and a bit of dried something.. thumbsup.gif

• 4 months later...
VolunteerArmoury

I recently saw a listing of NSN numbers in a publication at our supply room and it lists Arctic white MOLLE. I've never seen this. Anyone know of it? Any photos or sources out there for it? I'd love to get a set for collection.

VolunteerArmoury

Just found this link for it. http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/MOLLE.htm I'm aware this isn't a .mil site so it isn't official but it does list NSNs & when I went to sign up for an account I have to supply a supervisor's AKO address so if it's cool with my NCO Support Channel I'll eventually sign on.

Just found this link for it. http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/MOLLE.htm I'm aware this isn't a .mil site so it isn't official but it does list NSNs & when I went to sign up for an account I have to supply a supervisor's AKO address so if it's cool with my NCO Support Channel I'll eventually sign on.

I merged your topic into an existing one on modern Arctic gear in hopes some who has subscribed to it will be able to help.

• 2 months later...

A friend recently sent me some photo scans of our time in Alaska with A/4/23rd INF during 1975 and 1976. If the pictures appear one is of a winter FTX and the other of riverine training on the Copper River, I believe.

post-5715-1237376013.jpg

post-5715-1237376035.jpg

You guys are killing me. I always felt bad when I'd see the 6th LID Artic Warriors from Ft Wainright motor through Eielson AFB to head to the Yukon Range during the winter. Whats funny is I still have my artic gear too and I live on the Texas Gulf Coast.

It was the 172nd Light Arctic Mountain Infantry Brigade when I was there. I believe the reflag to 6th LID happened sometime in the 1980s. Here's some photos of glacier gear and training, not sure which glacier.

post-5715-1237544839.jpg

post-5715-1237544859.jpg

post-5715-1237544878.jpg

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

4 Pages and no one posted the Akhio harness? Leave it to a sailor to have one handy.....

We used the 200 lb. Akhio scow (did not call them sleds in the USN) for supply & rescue work in the arctic, primarily in Alaska, Iceland & Norway.

This harness was languishing in the bottom of my cold weather gear seabag, along with my mukluks, scarf, fur hat, rabbit fur lined gloves and arctic coveralls.

It is dated 1978 and a bit dirty from use. A four man team would pull a scow, with four of these single traces attached. You wore them with the FRONT forward and the quick release on your right hip. The rear D ring was for pulling the scow and the front D ring was used for braking/traversing the scow. The canvas strap went around your neck from right to left.

11_07_10_008.jpg