Modern Arctic gear and uniforms

msgt norway

msgt norway

found this snow sled today in the bushes close to my job!
the us army or usmc must have lost it on exersice
when they was here in the winther time,lucky me :lol:

post-2-0-31868900-1400860272.jpg

post-2-0-72041300-1400860273.jpg

btw do any of you have info about this type of sled and pictures of it
in use or any pictures regarding arctic gear from the 1950s to late 1980s?
cheers from ken

Nice find.I have seen them in surplus stores and they ask around $350 for them.dont know how many the stores sell but thats is the price tag I last saw.

RON

Jeff Ashenfelter

Ken,

This type of sled at one time was referred to as an Akhio sled. A 10 man insulated tent, poles, arctic stove, gas, tripod poles for gas tank, lantern, candles, axe, were just some of the items that were carried in them.

A sort of dog harness was attached to the front for several men to pull the sled on skis or snowshoes. I don't know what the current designation is for these or if they changed much, does not appear to be much from the pics. Jeff

msgt norway

cool!

i do have the 10 man arctic tent with liner and stove+fuel cans and tripod.

so im close to complet the arctic camp gear/base gear oh i also have the skies and snowshoes.

i can post pictures later if someone like?

cheers ken

Ken,

Great find. I'm surprised they lost it...our survival depended on these sleds in Alaska. Our unit SOP stated that if we lost 2 out of the 3 ahkios on the a jump then that plane load would return to base without jumping. I've included some pictures of our Barter Island, Alaska jump in 1974. Notice the red caution light on the starboard bulkhead and door ... I never saw that until I downloaded the photos to file.

BEAR

This is a photo of the ahkios gone... notice the green jump light now on. Loadmaster would watch for all chutes to deploy then close the tailgate and the next pass the troops would exit. Of course, we all knew that in combat there would be one pass and all ahkios and troops would exit.

BEAR

msgt norway

nice pictures!!!

do you have pictures of the soldiers in arctic gear,like in the field or camp to ?

im also looking for info on the harnes for the sled.

cheers from ken

Ken,

Yes, I have pictures of troops in arctic gear... but they're from the early 70s. Give me a day or two to dig them out then I'll send them by the forum email so we don't take up forum space.

Unfortunately, I have no information on the ahkio harness. I just remember feeling like a sled dog when I was attached to it. Not too bad when on snowshoes but more exciting on skis. Especially when you crest a hill and find yourself going down hill with the ahkio behind you.

BEAR

Ken,

Yes, I have pictures of troops in arctic gear... but they're from the early 70s. Give me a day or two to dig them out then I'll send them by the forum email so we don't take up forum space.

No - please post them - that's what we're here for!

msgt norway

thank you salute.gif

al pictures are welcome regarding us army marines in arctic gear!!!!

btw do any have that wool shirt in the pictures for sale or trade in size large regular?

il post a wanted in the wanted erea to..

cheers from ken in norway

Sorry Ken, no large wool OG shirts only mediums.

I managed to dig out some photos from Operation Jack Frost 75 when we were OPFOR against units from the lower 48 states. We wore the winter field uniform with overwhite camouflage and white painted helmet. The steel M1 helmet was not normally worn in winter conditions due to the extreme cold. We mostly wore the newly issued dark blue(?) balaclava.

Notice the "before and after" pictures of the overwhites.

These pictures are not top quality because they were taken on a Kodak 110 pocket camera but I hope they can help. More pictures later.

BEAR

msgt norway

cool pictures salute.gif

if you have more please post!!!!!!!

BEAR can i save them on my computer in my privat collection?

cheers from the cold north,ken in norway

Strange uniforms

Our company commander read about how the WWII British Para-smock was designed to wear over all the web gear so he ordered us to do the same. As you can see we all looked like pregnant porky pig paratroopers. The battalion commander said it much the same way so that was one bad idea that went away quick. We also had a 1st Lt. who came up from the 82nd and said that the Division was wearing the protective mask strapped to the left ankle for quick access if they dropped into a chemical environment. Well, after one jump, four broken ankles and 25 destroyed protective masks later we never did that foolishness again.

More strange uniforms.

Ah well, boys will be boys. I used to have the photo but the newspaper kept it but I do have the negative..... somewhere.

BEAR