BATAAN POW 200th CA Medal Group to NATIVE AMERICAN VETERAN

KASTAUFFER

I have a soft spot for the 200th Coast Artillery since it was the unit my Uncle served in. He was a POW and survived Bataan and the POW camps and came home.

This group is to one of his fellow veterans from the same unit. The 200th CA was an Anti-Aircraft unit formed in New Mexico as a National Guard unit.
The 200th CA was very diverse, being composed of Native Americans, Mexican Americans, and those of European descent.

This veteran was Native American and grew up in Acomita, New Mexico. He joined the 200th CA in March of 1941. In September he would be on his way to the Philippines and wouldn't be home until October 1945.

During the Battle of Bataan he was wounded on April 9th, 1942 which was the day of the surrender.

After the Death March and a couple of years in POW camps in the Philippines, he was transported to Japan on a Hellship and was liberated at a camp in Ashio Japan.

I will let the documents tell the rest of his story:

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

I was very fortunate that his service record in the archives had not been burned in the 1973 file. His file was intact, but damaged.

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

His named Purple Heart was issued in 1947 , hand engraved by the PQMD . His request for a CIB was denied.

IMG_2334.JPG

After WWII authority was given by the Army to award the Bronze Star to those veterans who has served during the Defense of the Philippines.

This is the paperwork for the Bronze Star he was awarded in 1985.

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

This thread is dedicated to the men of the 200th Coast Artillery, including my Uncle Cpl. Arthur E. Storts

200th.JPG

Kurt - that's FANTASTIC! What a group!!!

Thanks Dave! This grouping illustrates that a WWII group doesn't have to have high level Valor medals in it to be interesting,

Kurt

Incredible group Kurt, I was quite moved thinking about how happy his family was to receive the message "Liberated by Americans, safe and well, will be home soon" Such good news after years of worry and agony.

Thank you for posting it, and thank you to this honored Veteran and his memory, a true American by lineage, and by his personal valor, who endured a slice of hell for so long.

Best wishes to you,

Joe

Kurt, that is a fantastic group. That is the very interesting typoe of group that I have bought for my collection. I have passed up bravery groups for a group like this.

Dick

Kurt, this group is stunning! Thank you again for keeping the legacy alive!

Thanks Sean, your recent threads have gotten me motivated to post some of the groups I have never shown before!

Here is one I just did today that I know you will appreciate : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229554-wwii-31st-infantry-officer-pow-group-his-gear-from-bataan/

Kurt

• 11 months later...

Kastauffer,

I thought you might find this of interest- a program for the Memorial Service to the 200th Coast Artillery, held on December 9, 1945. I found this program inside a World War II photo album kept by a teenage girl from New Mexico.

post-274-0-44401700-1451525994.jpg

post-274-0-80354900-1451526013.jpg