help remove stains from khaki shirt?

WW2JAKE

im not sure what these are from they look similar to rust or coffee? but dont look like those that ive seen... i am not going to throw it in the washing machine or use something on it unless someone says its ok. but i know there are ways to get stains out but i dont want to try anything until i get some feedback, any help welcome!

post-125364-0-76169600-1420843961.jpgpost-125364-0-59158800-1420843963.jpg

I have had mixed results with removing rust stains in the past. Basically, anything that will attack the iron particles will probably end up bleaching (it will be harsh to old material) as a side effect. On things I value I leave alone and learned to live with the rust. Unfortunately trying to fix something or 'improve' it will often make it worse.

Another thing is that the rust has already damaged the fibers where it is stained. Nothing will reverse that, even if you can get the stain out. What that means for items like shirts is that those spots will eventually let go if handled or washed enough. The rust weakens the fibers and they will break if flexed too much.

In short, you might be able to partially remove most of the staining, but it may have undesirable side effects. Also, never machine wash any old militaria.

Just some observations,

RC

• 2 weeks later...