AVG Wings John E. Petach, Jr.

kanemono

Here are a pair of wings that belonged to John E. Petach, Jr. who was born on July 15, 1918. In 1939 he received a degree in chemical engineering from New York University. Upon graduation he applied to U.S. Navy for admittance to the aviation program. John was accepted and received his flight training at the famous Pensacola Naval Pilot School. He flew the various Naval aircraft and was assigned to a Scout Bomber Squadron, VS42 aboard the USS Ranger. In 1941 Petach joined the American Volunteer Group or AVG to fly for China. He flew P40-E fighters and shot down three Japanese bombers on January 23, 1942. On July 4, 1942, the AVG passed out of existence, when the Army Air Force took over the job with its 23rd fighter group. Almost all of the original flying Tigers returned home but some were needed to stay behind to help train the newly formed 23rd. Petach was asked to stay. He was going to return home with the girl he recently married, one of the two AVG nurses, Emma Jane “Red” Foster Petach. On July 10, 1942 he went on a mission and on a dive bombing run, he was hit by ground fire, his ship went down and he was killed.

post-9487-0-74811600-1420835061.jpg

post-9487-0-10047000-1420835068.jpg

On the subject of AVG wings - Below is an example of an original 1st issue AVG wing badge that all of the pilots who were attached to the unit would have received. Also please note that all of the 1st issue wings were numbered on the back.

post-4542-0-24520600-1420841457.jpg

I realize these wings are not first issue AVG wings, however, they are period wings made in India (along with everything else including the AVG pin) and belonged to John E. Petach Jr. I should have been more clear. Thanks for commenting.

Dick

Would it be rude to ask how you acquired these badges......I always like to here the "travels" of the badges that we collectors hold in such esteem!!!!

Yes, the numbers on the back were attributed to specific pilots.

Were the numbers on the reverse attributed to individual pilots?

doinworkinvans

I realize these wings are not first issue AVG wings, however, they are period wings made in India (along with everything else including the AVG pin) and belonged to John E. Petach Jr. I should have been more clear. Thanks for commenting.

Dick

And they are beautiful and so rare - Im glad they are in good caretakers hands

Thanks for the comments. Will M, Here is how I found the Petach pieces and how they were identified. When I found the group I had no idea that I had anything unusual. I thought the bullion wings and patch were real but that the other items were questionable. If it wasn't for forum members the cigarette case would have been tossed in a junk box and sold for scrap silver. An interesting story.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/227962-avg-flying-tiger-pin/

Dick

Very interesting theater made wing Dick. Thanks for sharing it.

Cliff, thank you for clarifying the difference between wings. For reference, I will also add photos of my 1st issue attributed/numbered Chinese made AVG wing.

JD

post-2901-0-91344400-1420909230.jpg

doinworkinvans

ok...im gonna ask a slightly silly question here, but I honestly don't know...why all the cover up? These cant be illegal? Or is it mearly because a "relative" may come calling?

They are not illegal. ..but the owners are not wanting to disclose the traceable number revealing the person to whom it was issued...for various reasons. ..I have no fear here is mine...

Ok, I'll come clean. Here's a better shot of mine. (I feel like I'm posting by Social Security Number and am about to have my identity stolen.)

I might add, my guy wasn't AVG. He would have received this in 1944.

post-322-0-76120900-1420935773.jpg!)

I think the short answer is no. AVG pilots were American pilots who volunteered to fly with the Chinese against the Japanese (I believe the US was officially neutral until Pearl Harbor), and were not under the US military command--thus they wore Chinese wings, not US wings. The guys who went to fly with the RAF were also in the same situation. In fact, I have read that there was some friction between the USAAF military command and AVG pilots once the US declared war against Japan.

Once the US entered the war, many AVG pilots subsequently rejoined the USAAF or USN. Some American pilots also flew with CNAC, which was the Chinese National Airlines. They also wore Chinese wings (CNAC wings).

I believe that some pilots (especially those in the 14th AAF) may have picked up Chinese wings, and I know that the Chinese government did award Chinese wings to certain pilots and groups as a sign of solidarity or appreciation. However, just like pilots flying in the 8th or 9th AAF didn't wear RAF wings, CBI aircrew were not given Chinese wings.

But, I suspect that there were a wide range of exceptions to the rules.

I think the short answer is no. AVG pilots were American pilots who volunteered to fly with the Chinese against the Japanese (I believe the US was officially neutral until Pearl Harbor), and were not under the US military command--thus they wore Chinese wings, not US wings. The guys who went to fly with the RAF were also in the same situation. In fact, I have read that there was some friction between the USAAF military command and AVG pilots once the US declared war against Japan.

Once the US entered the war, many AVG pilots subsequently rejoined the USAAF or USN. Some American pilots also flew with CNAC, which was the Chinese National Airlines. They also wore Chinese wings (CNAC wings).

I believe that some pilots (especially those in the 14th AAF) may have picked up Chinese wings, and I know that the Chinese government did award Chinese wings to certain pilots and groups as a sign of solidarity or appreciation. However, just like pilots flying in the 8th or 9th AAF didn't wear RAF wings, CBI aircrew were not given Chinese wings.

But, I suspect that there were a wide range of exceptions to the rules.

To add to what Patrick posted. The wing I posted was worn in 1944/5 by a USAAF major assigned to the Chinese-American Composite Wing (part of the 14th Air Force). My understanding is that all of the American pilots in this unit were also rated pilots in the Chinese AF and were authorized to wear these wings.

Thanks Patrick and Kurt,

That is what I was inquiring about. I had heard that all pilots that flew for (or aid) to China were authorized the China Wing.

Though this is just my interpretation of thinking of what I have read before, if that were the case, there should be a plethora of unnumbered wings out there.

Hence my question. If they are not numbered: are they repros??

Tom

Thanks Patrick and Kurt,

That is what I was inquiring about. I had heard that all pilots that flew for (or aid) to China were authorized the China Wing.

Though this is just my interpretation of thinking of what I have read before, if that were the case, there should be a plethora of unnumbered wings out there.

Hence my question. If they are not numbered: are they repros??

Tom

Not at all. Actually most wings awarded or given to US pilots post AVG were not numbered. Actual AVG wings have a certain style and construction and also fall within a certain number range. Under 2000 but also above a certain number.

I have a Chinese wing that came with a group from a 16th fighter squadron pilot that is clutchback, not numbered, and marked with a Chinese maker mark.

JD

I had heard that all pilots that flew for (or aid) to China were authorized the China Wing, if that were the case, there should be a plethora of unnumbered wings out there. Hence my question. If they are not numbered: are they repros??

Tom

Tom, if by some chance you have not yet seen the fine website devoted to military wings that is maintained by Bob Schwartz, there are two sections in which he shows a number of very interesting Chinese pilot wings issued during World War II.

Go to - Aviation Wings and Badges of World War II

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/china/chinaavg.shtml

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/china/chinapilot.shtml

Enjoy,

Cliff P.

Thanks Cliff & JDK on clearing that up for me.

Sorry to be so long replying, but duty calls sometimes. I have indeed been to Bob"s excellent site but was apparently searching something else and completely missed the AVG section. Thanks Cliff.

Now my question is JDK: what is the low number? or is that an enigma wrapped in conundrum in a tortilla?

Thanks,

Tom