WW2 P-38 LIGHTING Photo Reconnaissance CONTROL YOKE

501stGeronimo

501stGeronimo

This came from the estate of a Pilot in the 5th Photo Recon Group, 15th Photo Recon Squadron in WW2, he flew many missions in the Mediterranean Theater. He flew the P38 F-4. Hope you guys like it as much as I do!! Haven't had one of these yokes in a longgggg time! :D If you notice, the button for the cannon is gone a replace with the button to control the camera for photos!

"P-38 Photo Reconnaissance planes (called F-4s and F-5s) and their pilots were the eyes of the AAF. Their only weapon was a camera.

The F-4 was the first version of the unarmed Lightning, and the F-5 was an extension of that design (based on the P-38E). The F-5 carried from 3 to 5 precision cameras in their nose, which could be operated by remote control from the cockpit.

Because it has no armament, the F-5 was much lighter and, therefore, faster than the standard P-38s, a definite plus in the unfriendly skies over enemy territory."

post-36094-0-61217200-1420827283.jpg

Thanks! Now I just need to find a cool place for it :rolleyes:

That is a great piece!! I have the perfect place for it!! It would look great in my living room!!! ;-)

Chris

doinworkinvans

Thanks! Now I just need to find a cool place for it :rolleyes:

How about to pull the fridge open?!?! I could think of a thousand places!

501stGeronimo

How about to pull the fridge open?!?! I could think of a thousand places!

Dude....I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!! Think I just found where its going....:D

<points to forum name>

I knew I misplaced that wheel. Thanks for finding it for me :)

Way back when I was talking to a 1st FG P-38 pilot and I used the term 38 driver. He asked me how I knew they were called that. Turns out because of that wheel in the cockpit they were in fact called 38 Drivers. When I said it I had no idea :)

• 1 year later...

This came from the estate of a Pilot in the 5th Photo Recon Group, 15th Photo Recon Squadron in WW2, he flew many missions in the Mediterranean Theater. He flew the P38 F-4. Hope you guys like it as much as I do!! Haven't had one of these yokes in a longgggg time! :D If you notice, the button for the cannon is gone a replace with the button to control the camera for photos!

"P-38 Photo Reconnaissance planes (called F-4s and F-5s) and their pilots were the eyes of the AAF. Their only weapon was a camera.

The F-4 was the first version of the unarmed Lightning, and the F-5 was an extension of that design (based on the P-38E). The F-5 carried from 3 to 5 precision cameras in their nose, which could be operated by remote control from the cockpit.

Because it has no armament, the F-5 was much lighter and, therefore, faster than the standard P-38s, a definite plus in the unfriendly skies over enemy territory."

post-162703-0-76307200-1463811044.jpgpost-162703-0-76649500-1463811046.jpg

Hi 501stGeronimo: I see you've been inactive for a long time...but will give this a shot. I've attached photos of my early P-38 control wheel. I restored it with dummy (but operable) push-button switches that I fabricated. I'm wondering if you might consider removing the back-plate from your yoke and taking some photos of the switch installations. Plus letting my know (if able) what the part number is and who the manufacturer is for the gun and cannon switches .

Thanks and take care:

Swifter

doinworkinvans

Swifter - this member was banned a while back. So getting an answer from him will not be possible. Maybe by chance another member can help.

AAF_Collection

I have several early P-38 manuals including parts books. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find for you.

Matt.

Swifter - this member was banned a while back. So getting an answer from him will not be possible. Maybe by chance another member can help.

Wow....that's a shame. Guess I'll see what happens going forward.

I have several early P-38 manuals including parts books. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find for you.

Matt.

Hi Matt:

Any help is appreciated. I do have pdf copies of the relevant pages from the AN-01-75-4A "Parts Catalog" for the late model P-38s and F5s. The part number for the switches in that manual is (literally) "1230". The manufacturer is given as "Audio Products". Both of these data bits are too generic to be useful in an online search. That 's why I'm hoping, ultimately, that I can come up with someone who owns a wheel/yoke with the switches/labeling intact...and willing to take the photos.

Also need the MICROPHONE switch components in the center hub.

Nick

• 4 years later...

Dear fellow enthusiasts, I am looking for the switches that were mounted on the late yoke type P-38 steering wheel. We are re-creating and also restoring grips, steering wheels and instrument panels for a local museum and are happy to buy or swap. The P/N's we are looking for are P/N 202682 & P/N 202222. We also are looking for the button plug P/N CV129 for a late P-38 yoke. Here below is a picture of one of the panels we re-produced including the correct Decalcomania decals. Pls. reach out if you are able to assist! THANKS!!!

Screen_Shot_2020-08-07_at_2_59.47_PM.png