WW2 Medical Department Individual Equipment

med-dept

Hi guys,

I had some spare time over the past few days, and decided to put together a small set of photographs which demonstrates the evolution of the Medical Department Individual Equipment throughout WW2. I hope this thread may prove useful for collectors and re-enctors!

First of all is the early-type Medical Pouch with leather closing strap. These Pouches were used during the interbellum years and into the beginning of WW2. In addition, early Suspenders and Cantle Straps can be identified by their cast brass spring clips:

post-2299-0-59276900-1420803614.jpg

Thanks,

Ben.

Next is the mid-war pattern, and the most common arrangement. The spring clips are constructed in the typical manner using pressed metal:

post-2299-0-35664300-1420803893.jpg

Finally, is the last pattern issued during WW2. It was introduced in late 1944, and as can be seen, the system for adjusting the false-bottom of those Pouches is replaced by 3 press-studs (rather than the legacy lacing mechanism). The hardware is also pressed steel.

post-2299-0-76825200-1420804119.jpg

Ben, EXCELLENT TOPIC!! One of my favorite parts of my collection is a complete, mid war setup, with all the parts as you show. BTW. Are the straps you showing, the litter bearing straps or the cantle straps? From what I understand, there should be two sets of two different length straps, also with this setup.

Bob

Thanks Guys. Bob, the straps pictured are the Cantle Straps, but you're right, there should also be a pair of Litter Carrying Straps included with each set up, but space did not allow them to be photographed easily :)

To date, I've only ever found the third pattern Pouches in OD # 3, never in the darker shade OD # 7, which is interesting.

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben, I'm not trying to hijack your topic, but for the forums reference here is a photo of the complete setup with the Litter Carrying Straps.

Bob

post-299-0-38043100-1420825223.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Bob. As a remark, the Pouch that you have shown on the right is actually one of those re-issued in 1948 to the French army. They're WW2-produced US Pouches, but the French government added the black markings to the exterior of the Pouch.

Later, the French government began production of their own variant. It is almost identical to US-produced examples, but are constructed of a thinner, coarser canvas duck material. The colour is generally more greeny-grey.

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben, Yeah those French markings have been a pain in my butt and basically defile a mint WWII pouch. Any idea on how to remove the marks without hurting the pouch?? I am afraid to experiment because the pouch is just pristine otherwise.

Bob

Bob,

Unfortunately so far I have not been able to find a way to eradicate those markings without leaving a noticeable mark on the Pouch. It really is a shame, since it appears that all of the Pouches were stone mint when they were given to the French. I did find a third pattern Pouch with those markings, which was a real shame, of course!

My best recommendation is to cover them with a Geneva Convention Brassard!

Regards,

Ben.

Ben, I used a brass wire brush on the markings and after some gentle brushing, the marks were greatly reduced in darkness. It seems the dark, black part of the markings was laying on the surface and came off as a black powder. This did not damage the surface of the pouch at all, but lightened the markings considerably.

Bob

Thanks for the OD #7 Pouch. I'll dig mine out and post a photograph for comparison. It's interesting that the second pattern Pouch was produced in OD #7, but so far I have yet to see a third pattern (later model) in OD #7, they all seem to be OD #3.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for another set of Suspenders, Danny. I just sold a pair yesterday on the Forum, but in case that deal falls through, I'll let you know too.

Thanks and best regards to everyone,

Ben.