Planes of Fame - Chino, CA

choochoo

I finally took my boys out to the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. http://planesoffame.org/ I've heard a lot of good stuff about this place and the first Saturday of the month, they have a theme and flight demonstration. Here's their calender of events for 2015 http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=2015_calendar

Last week, they had a "Planes in Film" theme. I didn't stay too long for the talk because of the short attention span of my kids, but there were PLENTY of other things to see.

The plane doing the flight demonstration was a P-40 Warhawk. Unfortunately, I didn't get much info on the plane's history.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Here's a couple of flyby videos. (sorry for the crappy video work, i'm trying hold the hand of one of the boys, keep my one eye on the other, and my other eye on the lcd screen)

So many pictures to post. I'll try to get them up in a timely manner. But, don't hold your breath.

Planes of Fame is amazing. Probably one of the premier warbirds collections out there, esp since most of their stuff is still flyable. One day I'll make it for their airshow, which is usually in May.

I've been wanting to go to the USS Intrepid ever since going to NYC back in the 80's. I even had a Revell model of it.

On the west coast, we've got the the USS Midway museum is in San Diego, which is awesome and the USS Hornet in Alameda, which I haven't been to yet.

Looks like a really interesting place. We've got the USS Intrepid here, Navy aircraft as you would think.

http://livinginflux.com/travel/backyard-tourism-intrepid-museum/

Yeah, I'm definitely going to their big show in May.

Planes of Fame is amazing. Probably one of the premier warbirds collections out there, esp since most of their stuff is still flyable. One day I'll make it for their airshow, which is usually in May.

They used to have a wingless b-29 that could be toured there, however, I dont know if it is still there.

Here is a pic of the airshow last May from my driveway. The F-22 had to keep his nose up in a controlled stall to keep up (or slow) with the other birds.

post-153936-0-80297800-1421268422.jpg

You know, that totally confused me because as I was driving to "Planes of Fame", I saw the other museum. If it weren't for the event signs, I would have driven to "Yanks". As I was leaving I spotted a few planes out and about.

There was the front section of the B-29 fuselage. I got a few pictures of it. "Lucky Lady II", I believe is her name. I'll try to post the rest of my pictures up this week.

P-40 start up video

OK, finally go around to uploading all my pics. What a pain.... crappy photo host upload interface.

http://www.pbase.com/ivannachoo/planes_of_fame_chino_12015

Enjoy!

A few highlights:

not only do they have planes, but they have some armored vehicles too.

restoring a M4 Sherman

large.jpg

They have a nice collection of Axis aircraft too.

large.jpg

large.jpglarge.jpg

I was a little disappointed to not see a Spitfire though. At least they had a scale model :) The scales models were probably my son's favorite things to see.

large.jpg

B-50A "Lucky Lady II" fuselage

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Ah, I remember the Lucky Lady! My dad And I have gone to Planes of Fame for many years, ever since I was a kid. I've always been a warbird buff and on one of our many visits one of the staff members let me crawl around in the plane's fuselage. Needless to say, that made an 8 year old airplane nut's day all those years ago! More recently, I've had the chance to discuss with some of their docents, including one who was a B-17 ball turret gunner, about the planes. Great planes and docents. I can't recommend the place enough! It's one of my favorite air museums of all time, up there with the Hendon museum in London.

This was my first visit to Planes of Fame and I was more than impressed by it. Another museum nearby is the William Lyon museum at the John Wayne Airport. It's no where near as big as Planes of Fame, but is still a very good museum.

• 3 months later...
phantomfixer

Just a FYI from a proud father...my son is a crew chief on the F22 at Langley...he gets to see the demo team practice...his goal is to be on the demo team one day...he has been in the AF for a tad over a year...still a youngin...and he loves the F22

I wish I had a great post to put up, but honestly, the kiddos had to leave early, so we only got to stay for the WWII and Korean warplanes. I'll try to post pics and videos as soon as possible. Even though we had to leave early, it was pretty awesome.

• 8 years later...
Vahe Demirjian

Photos taken by me in April 2019 of the first of the three Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket aircraft to be built (the Skyrocket made history on November 20, 1953, when it became the first airplane to reach Mach 2, attaining that milestone weeks ahead of the 50th anniversary of the dawn of heavier-than-air powered flight):

DouglasD-558-2Skyrocket(1).JPG.19d495dc5ecb7540ce31233c59215f8c.JPG 

DouglasD-558-2Skyrocket(2).JPG.129c831df4200d9f823e74f5ab0eafa6.JPG

I also took the following photo at the museum on August 19, 2021 of models of the Soviet Union's first-ever jet fighters and the Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 rocket-powered fighter. The BI-1 was the only rocket fighter built by any of the Allied Powers in World War II but did not reach full-scale production (Konstantin Kalinin in the early 1930s proposed the K-15 delta-wing rocket fighter, but that design was not built because Kalinin was arrested and executed in 1938 during Stalin's Great Purge).

EarlySovietjetandrocketfightermodels.jpg.a392d60e8461fc60eac70c5fbc5e0d5b.jpg

14 minutes ago, P-59A said:

I love that place! My dad took me to it when it was the Cars of Stars, Planes of Fame in Buena Park.

This display was the coolest thing ever. I took to turning my model airplanes into crashed planes because of this.

post-169522-0-71456200-1577874145_thumb.jpg