Dress chevrons: Quartermaster with Engineer colors?

Major Z

I bought this matched pair of Quartermaster chevrons from a gentleman in San Antonio in 2013. He was reluctant to sell them as he told me he'd never had a pair like this. I would have to concur! What's interesting is that it is a mix of the bullion thread mixed with what I believe is the Engineer branch colored stripes. Perhaps they are artillery? I figured Engineer with the mix of the red backing with white trim. The only concern I have is that I've never observed this exact type of chevron before. I've looked for it in books but I've had no luck. I really, really hope they're real!!

If anyone would like to comment and give your thoughts, I'd welcome your ideas and feedback. Below are the chevron fronts, and a close-up of the rear construction. In the next post, you'll see close-ups of the bullion thread. Sorry the tarnish doesn't show well in the photo. It looks really nice with the patina present. And hey, if you have something like this, I'd love to see. Thanks!

post-153340-0-42941100-1420752141.jpg

post-153340-0-67393700-1420752161.jpg

I believe these chevrons are fantasy pieces. Check Colonel Emerson's book on Army chevrons. It is possible they could have been used by a state military unit, or even a military school, but these look too new. A lot of phoney-baloney chevrons have been made for collectors and reenactors. JMHO

I believe these chevrons are fantasy pieces. Check Colonel Emerson's book on Army chevrons. It is possible they could have been used by a state military unit, or even a military school, but these look too new. A lot of phoney-baloney chevrons have been made for collectors and reenactors. JMHO

Unfortunately, I have to agree. An 1872 style chevron of the wrong branch (i.e., not QM buff) with 1884 bullion insert. If the bullion looked old, I'd also consider the possibility of being some state variation. But that copper color bullion with yellow reverse threads looks exactly like many of the fake WW2 bullion USAAF patches. Looks like Pakistani bullion to me.

Compare to the bullion in these:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194803-1884-dress-uniform-chevrons/

Bummer. Well, I'm going to keep them because I still think they're cool! And if they are indeed fakes, I wouldn't feel right in selling them. Live and learn! Thanks.