A Couple Of A-2s From The Collection

will m.

Thank you for your appreciation........your jacket will "find" you.......just stay the course.

Great jackets and crew pictures, would love to have one of these some day!

Alan

• 4 months later...

Incredible jackets with great history. These are really inspiring and drive me on to keep digging for clues behind my A-2s.

• 7 months later...

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but on the first A-2, did that one belong to Col. Birdsong himself or a crew member of his A/C? I only ask as I own Col. Birdsong's 1943 (9th Edition) AAF Officer's Manual with his signature inside. Gorgeous jackets, sorry for the late post!

Yes, this is the pilot's jacket.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but on the first A-2, did that one belong to Col. Birdsong himself or a crew member of his A/C? I only ask as I own Col. Birdsong's 1943 (9th Edition) AAF Officer's Manual with his signature inside. Gorgeous jackets, sorry for the late post!

Birdsong was from Clarksdale, Mississippi about 35 miles west of Batesville, Mississippi where I live. His ground crew chief was a man by the name of Maurice Gole who lived in Marks, Mississippi a town about 15 east of Clarksdale. Marks was almost right in the middle between Clarksdale and Batesville. Marks, Mississippi is where I grew up. Mr. Gole and Birdsong were very close friends and Birdsong allowed Gole to stow away on the Delta Rebel and go on a mission or two. He even got to fire a .50 cal Machinegun. Birdsong wrote a book about his time in England and his and Gole's exploits together. Mr. Gole had a son who I grew up with in Marks. His name was also Maurice. Maurice served in Vietnam as a ground crew chief for a helicopter outfit. I don't remember what outfit. Knowing his dad had gone on a mission little Maurice was able to go on a mission with one of the copters in his outfit. He even fired the door gun at suspected vc positions. He followed in his dad's footsteps. I have the sons medals, ribbons, insignia and some other gear from his service in Vietnam on display in my office. Just thought you all might find that bit of info in testing.

Ronnie