A Couple Of A-2s From The Collection

will m.

These are two of the A-2s from the collection.......one with a fair historical background and the other being a well painted jacket.

The 91st Bomb Group, 323rd Bomb Squadron jacket is from the pilot of B-17F-30-BO s/n 42-5077. Named Delta Rebel 2, she had a fair amount of press coverage and some association with Capt. Clark Gable.

The pilot of Delta Rebel 2 was Capt. George P. Birdsong, Jr. with 25 missions in Europe and a continued combat service in Vietnam with the 633rd Special Operations Wing. Here was Wing Commander and flew 212 combat missions. Col. Birdsong finished his USAF career in 1970.

Delta Rebel 2 was lost August 12, 1943. The Birdsong crew had rotated back the ZI in June of that same year.

The second jacket is from a waist gunner with the 448th Bomb group, 714th Bomb Squadron. This was a B-25 group and Sgt. Eldon (Elden) Farrar was a member of the crew for Bim-Bam-Bola, B-24H-15-FO s/n 42-94735

Sgt. Farrar's jacket was painted by fellow crew-member and waist gunner Sgt. Ray Waters.

Bim-Bam-Bola lost July 12, 1944; Sgt. Farrar's crew was in rotation at this time.

post-4098-0-61219500-1420742032.jpg

post-4098-0-11397200-1420742044.jpg

post-4098-0-62056600-1420742052.jpg

post-4098-0-52539100-1420742063.jpg

post-4098-0-03443200-1420742151.jpg

post-4098-0-08538700-1420742165.jpg

Thank you for your appreciation........every week is "A-2 Week"......!!!!!!!!!!!!

those are 2 killer jackets - it must be A-2 week on the forum!!! B)

Let's hope for even more postings........and thanks for taking a look.....

OK with me, I could spend a month looking at these A-2s!

The former owners ,I am sure, would appreciate your comments.......as for me I feel lucky to have had many great jackets over the years. I am just a custodian and preservationist......you really can't keep anything forever.

You are doing pretty good in the A-2 department too......It appears you do not restore you jackets, a practice that I also subscribe to.

Will what lovely jackets with great history ! Thanks for sharing them . Jim

doinworkinvans

You may already have these, but here is a couple of ol' Delta Rebel

Your pilot is on the far right

abc.jpg

Delta Rebel No.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos........the first was taken before the crew rotated back to the ZI....everyone got a copy. The second (I think) was taken when the second crew that took over Delta Rebel 2....seems they got a little coverage before they were lost. I have (as far as I know) the only A-2 and some other crew member affects (bombardier and right waist gunner) remaining from the 'Rebel. Not a lot was left by the guys!!!!

Lots to be seen on this forum...........thanks for taking a look.

Not sure how I missed this one? Great jackets! Thanks for sharing them! Nothing like nice A-2 jackets!

JD

You are right, the artist did a fine job of adding dimension to the wings.......I didn't realize how bad my photos are......I used some older ones.....got to get busy and do another shoot.

the way that Aerial Gunner badge is painted to look almost 3-D is really something else

Great info Will , I have spent the last months researching my Dianna Dear A2 , I will post an update here over the coming weeks with lots more details. Thanks so much for kindly sharing your wonderful A2's . Jim

Dianna Dear is nicely done jacket.......91st BG to boot. The art work makes me think a little later....B-17Gs....am I right. I certainly look forward to your research.....post soon!!!! Also the Group patch may indicate a Lead Crew if I'm not mistaken.

You probably know by now that A-2s were worn much like the USAF "party suits" of the Vietnam War....and a great many were not really decorated until the time of the individuals rotation.

My 91st had the name applied to back only after the crew ragged the pilot about painting his jacket .Capt. Birdsong thought that that was only a practice for enlisted men but finally relented and applied the name himself.....with no intention of it being "art".

Great info Will , I have spent the last months researching my Dianna Dear A2 , I will post an update here over the coming weeks with lots more details. Thanks so much for kindly sharing your wonderful A2's . Jim

Thank you for you comments........the 'Rebel is rather special to us too!!!!

The debate continues about whether Delta Rebel 2 or Memphis Belle was first to complete 25 missions.....my research would indicate the 'Rebel was first but a lot AAF politics ruled otherwise.

Again thank you for appreciation of the Delta Rebel 2 A-2 jacket.

I love A-2s …………..

Delta Rebel makes me VERY Very happy.

Its as good as they can possibly get.

Thanks for sharing with the community

owen

Thought you might like a shot of the 'Rebel being "gonged" by her pilot..........that's the same A-2 before being "patch'd and paint'd". Birdsong went on to wear that jacket until 1952......at that time he was a Major.

post-4098-0-70736500-1422068410.jpg

My gawd!!!!!!!.....what have I done!!!!!! You're absolutely right......and the only one to call my hand, B-24 (it even looks like one on the jacket????!!!!) it is. Thanks for taking a look at the jackets and I promise to "rehearse" my lines more closely for now on!!

Killer jackets!

I also think you meant to say "B-24" instead of B-25 on the Farrar jacket.