tanker helmet

pelican

hi this my tanker helmet .its not in really good shape,the goggles are not from that time ,just for display.what does the writing mean on front of it.should i repaint it? thanks

post-53136-0-51552100-1420729499.jpg

My opinion is no, - you must not do anything about the color or not paint it at all, the originality goes off if you paint it, it's beauty as it is..

Yes the writing could be Israelis they used both equipment and vehicles (Sherman tanks) during the 6 day war in 1967..

Pic. Israelis Tank crew 1967.

post-154935-0-94951400-1420735530.jpg

Yes the writing could be Israelis they used both equipment and vehicles (Sherman tanks) during the 6 day war in 1967..

Pic. Israelis Tank crew 1967.

I agree, has an IDF feel to me. Is their a maker name on the interior lining? A lot of US tanker helmets went to Israel in the post-war period so it may be one of them.

Larry

I think it looks like it's in great "been there" condition. If the snaps are not to fragile to unsnap it may look better with the spring arms rotated down? When you're able you could add the earphones and throat mic, etc. to complete the display. I like this link with great info on tanker helmets.

http://www.big-red-one.org/M1938%20TANK%20HELMET%20INFO%20PAGE.htm

Cool tanker!

Frank

Maybe it's one of those Italian reproductions... They look nearly identical.

From what I've learned all original US tanker helmets tend to have a maker's logo.

Also, the color is slightly different and the material of the flaps to hold the receiver appears to be different.

hbtcoveralls

I agree definitely not WWII US. Most similar to the Italian post WWII tank helmet. I've also seen one identified as Belgian that looked similar too

Tom Bowers

I didn't notice the differences from the US WWII tanker until it was pointed out by others in this thread. I had never seen the post war Italian or Belgian thinking they just used US WWII surplus. I figured that the maker marks faded or were obscured by use. Always more to learn and watch for. Good info from all the responses! Thanks!

Frank