WWII USMC M1 helmet with EGA and Hawley liner

WWII_GI

• 1 month later...

Still researching but I haven't been able to find much. The records say he participated in FLEX NO.6 which was a amphibious landing training in 1940-41 in the Caribbean, he was also in FLANEX 7 in the Puerto Rican area in 1941. But I assume he was awarded the Purple Heart right? According to these records he never got it, they documented that he got the following awards American defense, Base Clasp, WWII victory medal, and good conduct medal. Also in his records there was a handwritten letter to Colonel John Dixon, In the letter he states "Thank you for my certificate for the purple heart and Unit Citation". I have also asked the family about the purple heart and if they have found anything else related to his service, they haven't found anything but they are still looking.

-Steven

• 5 months later...

Still working on researching the helmet. I have been in contact with Marks son in law and he has helped me so much! He told me that Mark passed away at age 54 in 1976 from an apparent heart attack, very sad that he passed at a young age. He didn't find any other military items from Mr. Kamen but he did send me a couple photographs of Mark. The first one is Mark in his dress blues, this is a copy of a copy, he is still looking for the original that is much higher quality. The second photograph is one his son in law took of Mr. Kamen in the summer of 1975, just a year before he passed. Now he said that this picture is a rare one because it shows Marks damaged left hand. He said that Mr. Kamen was very self conscious of his hand, and that he often kept it in his pocket. It isn't easy to see but his left hand is smaller and only has 3 fingers, according to the military medical records after his injury the two injured ring and middle fingers were bandaged up, 1 month after that they were bandaged and checked again. The tissue was dead and rotting, they couldn't be saved, so they were amputated and they hand was closed and the pinkie was brought closer to the pointer finger, making his hand much smaller. The research continues!

Thanks for looking

-Steven

Summer of 1975 photo

post-104606-0-32176400-1439869271.png