WWII USMC M1 helmet with EGA and Hawley liner

WWII_GI

My final find of 2014 came in today and I am stoked. This is a Front seam fixed bail helmet with the heat stamp of 59C. The helmet has a screwback large USMC EGA affixed onto the front and it has definitely been there for a long time. It has a first pattern Hawley liner, the liner has scratches and dents from the EGA screwback. The helmet and liner also show that the shorter end of the chinstrap was tucked inside the helmet for a long time. It appears that maybe a kid got a hold of it because there are marks on the oustide of the liner and pencil marks on the inside and out, the shell also has some blue paint sprayed on the front. The seller says that it sat in their attic for a long time and it belonged to a relative that served in the marines and wore this helmet on Guadalcanal. I'm working on getting the name and some more information from the seller.
Thanks for looking!
-Steven

post-104606-0-82081600-1420673505.jpegpost-104606-0-52843800-1420673510.jpegpost-104606-0-86384600-1420673517.jpeg

Whoa, I like it.

Thanks Ronny!

LOOKS TO BE CAMO ON THE FRONT?

Could be, it has the light blue spray and maybe a lighter green. A lot of the paint is gone from the front.

While I am not saying this one is good or not, I would like to add some cynicism to the discussion.

1. I question the use of EGAs on M1 helmets during the war. Are there any photos of such? I'm not saying there aren't, but don't recall seeing any and would like to see some sort of evidence of its use before buying into this helmet.

2. Is the EGA correct for WW2? I have no idea but would want to know if it were mine.

3. Putting a big hole in the front seriously degrades the protective quality of the helmet and I would think that no sane front line soldier would have done that. I'm not saying someone in the rear wouldn't have, but then see No. 1.

4. Speaking of holes, is there the same age on the hole of the shell as elsewhere?

5. Again, not saying this helmet is wrong, but Donny Downer would say that it would be very easy for Joe Ebay to take a low-value shell (missing paint and cork on the front) and a low-value Hawley, add an EGA, add a "found in the attic" story, and a sale is made.

Put another way, without the story the helmet has a lot of explaining to do. Hope it turns out!

1. I question the use of EGAs on M1 helmets during the war. Are there any photos of such? I'm not saying there aren't, but don't recall seeing any and would like to see some sort of evidence of its use before buying into this helmet.

ive seen EGAs on covers but you're right ive never seen one on the shell, but thats not saying it didnt happen. ive seen insignia attached this way (with a hole) on army helmets with rank. most would glue or solder... but i have seen insignia done this way

While I am not saying this one is good or not, I would like to add some cynicism to the discussion.

2. Is the EGA correct for WW2? I have no idea but would want to know if it were mine.

3. Putting a big hole in the front seriously degrades the protective quality of the helmet and I would think that no sane front line soldier would have done that. I'm not saying someone in the rear wouldn't have, but then see No. 1.

4. Speaking of holes, is there the same age on the hole of the shell as elsewhere?

5. Again, not saying this helmet is wrong, but Donny Downer would say that it would be very easy for Joe Ebay to take a low-value shell (missing paint and cork on the front) and a low-value Hawley, add an EGA, add a "found in the attic" story, and a sale is made.

Put another way, without the story the helmet has a lot of explaining to do. Hope it turns out!

Ive seen a handful of real helmets with EGAs on them like this but I cant remember how they were exactly attached (EGA's arent my thing). My one concern is that the ones i have seen that were legit the patina around the actual EGA and the EGA itself were more constant with the overall look of the helmet.

There is a possibility the vet put this on after all of his service as a mark of pride after his tour which would explain a bit of the differences.

Another thing that gives me a bit of pause is whats being called possible camo. To me it looks like there are several layers of paint. The top layer being the blue color. And the next layer almost looks gold in these pics, but it could be the lighting.

But hopefully im just being too picky here :)

ive seen EGAs on covers but you're right ive never seen one on the shell

You've seen EGA's on helmet covers being used during WWII? Any photos?

not that i have on hand, search it. im sure youll find some

In other words no he hasn't but if you find them you will make him look right.

Here's the EGA and where it was on the helmet, It looks like when it was put on a lot of the paint was scraped off and the EGA protected the bare steel while the unprotected steel rusted.

Also the rust patterns in the helmet and on the Hawley match perfectly.

And also note the large dent in the Hawley from the EGA back.

post-104606-0-86985900-1420686850.jpegpost-104606-0-80061700-1420686856.jpeg