WW1 DSC & Purple Heart group now on ebay

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

A seller from Australia has listed this DSC/PH/VM/OCC Medal to JOHN BEATO on ebay for $1500. It didn't sell the first time and is now relisted. I think on a good day the best it is a reissue to the recipient or family. What do you think?

Garth

the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261726225180?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Picture:

post-83-0-23845300-1420654522.jpg

I have seen this group before but cannot place where.....it may have been on Ebay awhile back. The DSC and PH are no doubt later engraved and most likely reissues.....or possibly a late-issue? Due to the engraving style I would wager that this was issued in the early-1950's around the Korean War.

It is a nice group but $1500......I do not see it close to that price range at all.

Philip

If my memory is still okay, I have this strange feeling I saw this at the SOS a few years back. I remember commenting on the price the seller had it for (something like $500 or something like that). And then I saw that it was a reissue set and it all made sense...

Beato received DSC #3550. Personally, I think this is a made-up group

Agreed. Here are the emails I received when asking about this medal:

Dear usa1918,

Sorry

I can not tell you more then that, and I do not know much about it, but this is how it was sold to me on the State Auction

Thanks

- two014
Click the Respond button to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply s.gifbtnRespond.gif

To: two014

Subject: Re: Details about the item: usa1918 sent a message about Original WWI Extreme Bravery US 4 Medals Order Set, Cross named to J Beato #261718444639

Sent Date: Jan-03-15 09:33:59 PST

Dear two014,

I understand that, but his AGO card clearly states that the rim number should be #550, not 22120 (which is not traceable)

- usa1918

To: usa1918

Subject: Re: Details about item: usa1918 sent a message about Original WWI Extreme Bravery US 4 Medals Order Set, Cross named to J Beato #261718444639

Sent Date: Jan-03-15 08:27:27 PST

Dear usa1918,

Yes, please see link attached

http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=10621

Thanks

- two014

To: two014

Subject: Details about the item: usa1918 sent a message about Original WWI Extreme Bravery US 4 Medals Order Set, Cross named to J Beato #261718444639

Sent Date: Jan-03-15 08:12:09 PST

Dear two014,

Are you sure on the DSC #, DSC #3550 was awarded to Beano.

- usa1918
261718444639.jpg Original WWI Extreme Bravery US 4 Medals Order Set, Cross named to J Beato Item Id: 261718444639 End time: Jan-06-15 18:30:56 PST Seller: two014 (28iconYellowStar_25x25.gif) 100.0% Positive Feedback Member since Sep-03-14 in United States Location: NJ, United States Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

Keith

My first impression is not fake but reissue maybe 60's?...the dsc # would match his original dsc and this clearly isn't it...but I would not call this group "fake" necessarily either

If ancestry.com's right, Beato died in 1975...could this have been a replacement set for him in his older years, or perhaps given to the family at the funeral (perhaps he lost the originals?) That could be 1970s engraving...just FWIW...

I concur, its a late 50's early 60's reissued set of medals. The DSC number doesn't need to match the original one.

Kurt

I have seen a couple reissue grouping to WWI veterans that they used to either replace lost items or wear the reissues instead of the originals. This is in part due to the fact that until the mid 60's memorial day was a special patriotic event and one could count on the WWI Veterans and to a lesser degree the WW2 vet to be in the parade wearing their medals. This I remember as a 8 to 10 year old cub scout but this all went out of stile in the late 60's because of the Anti War attitudes of the younger generation and I'm sad to say the parades faded with the WWI veterans into history. So it seems that this is a legit group to a true hero from the 1st World War and based on all that is posted the guy seems to be trying to makes some extra cash with the group, figure that he probably has close to a 1K in the group after paying auction fees and money or credit card fees. Will it sell for that? Your guess is as good as mine maybe we will see it at SOS this year.

John

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...