LT Theodore Robinson 327th GIR

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

my uncle Lt. Ted Robinson was in the Regimental Headquarters Company of the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment. He passed away around Christmas 2005 and was buried with military honors at Riverside Military Cemetary in California in Jan 2006. He was a Colonel when he retired from the Calif National Guard.

Like a lot of WW2 vets he didn't want to talk about the war. All I know for sure is he landed on Utah Beach due to insufficient aircraft to pull his gliders, was at Bastogne, and Market Garden. And probably other places.

Greg

post-4-1170168092.jpg

Good stuff thumbsup.gif

Interestingly, he's wearing Para wings, no Glider wings. Late on most replacements to the regiment were Paratroopers, but he is with the unit from before its first action. think.gif

Is that Bronze star/oakleaf and purple heart on the top row ?

Yes - More please :D

Greg Robinson

According to a veteran I showed the photograph to he has the purple heart ribbon plus the ribbon with oak leaf clusters indicating three bronze stars. And he has the orange shoulder rope awarded by the Netherlands and the PUC ribbon.

Can't explain the jump wings. He was a communications officer with HQ Company and I'm told he was also qualified as a co pilot on the gliders.

It's the only photograph I have of my uncle.

Greg

Johan Willaert

A lot of Glider Qualified troopers went thru Jump Training in the latter part of WW2 or just after war's end, thus entitled to both wings...

Most preferred to wear the Jump wing over the less 'adventurous' Glider Wing!

Johan

My take on the "rack" is Bronze Star and Purple heart on the top row. The second row is American Campaign, WWII Victory and the ETO ribbon with what appear to be the large British made stars.

As for the parachute qualification, you will find that most officers went through jump school and that many of them simply ended up in glider units just to getinto leadership positions.

I don't see a Dutch Orange lanyard in the phot- just a Belgian fourragere. You'll note that the tw "officer" cords on the fourragere are worn on the outside of the sleeve.

Allan

Greg Robinson
My take on the "rack" is Bronze Star and Purple heart on the top row. The second row is American Campaign, WWII Victory and the ETO ribbon with what appear to be the large British made stars.

As for the parachute qualification, you will find that most officers went through jump school and that many of them simply ended up in glider units just to getinto leadership positions.

I don't see a Dutch Orange lanyard in the phot- just a Belgian fourragere. You'll note that the tw "officer" cords on the fourragere are worn on the outside of the sleeve.

Allan

I wish the photo were in color since that would make it easier to see all this. I did show it to a veteran of the 101st who said he saw the orange rope for the liberation of the Netherlands.....said it was awarded to Market Garden vets....but then I'm not really up to speed on this personally so just have to go with what I'm being told. All I know is from my limited contact with my Uncle Ted he was one heck of a nice guy but his sons say he wasn't interested in talking about WW2. In his later years he was asked to do a write up on his WW2 experiences so we'd have a rrecord of is. but he refused.