USMC Hospital Corps bolos and question

robinb

One of my first US Military knives was one of these that I bought for $8 back in the mid 1970's. Since then I have amassed a few makers and variations. Here are some of them.

MVC-039S.JPG

MVC-040S.JPG

MVC-041S.JPG

MVC-042S.JPG

MVC-043S.JPG

MVC-044S.JPG

And my question is, who made this one? It has a small USMC near the handle but no other markings. 4 brass rivets retain the handle.

MVC-045S.JPG

MVC-046S.JPG

Still-A-Marine

That plumb is very rare. Could you post more pictures of that one? I have looked for years and never even seen one except in Cole' book.

Bill

Here are my 2 Plumb variations. The wood is a different species on each. One is much more red colored than the other. One has 4 brass pins while the other 10 machine screws that are countersunk into the wood, then filled with what looks like wood putty. There is a small piece of wood missing and you can see the threads of the machine screw. The screws are staggered so they don't hit each other. Very different.

MVC-047S.JPG

MVC-048S.JPG

MVC-049S.JPG

MVC-050S.JPG

And my question is, who made this one? It has a small USMC near the handle but no other markings. 4 brass rivets retain the handle.

robinb

I have one of these with the U.S.M.C. double stamped. I don't think anyone has come up with the manufacturer.

t6

Still-A-Marine

Here is another variant. It is an early Village Blacksmith. The stamping is different than the other Village Blacksmiths I've seen. I've never seen another except for the drawing in Cole IV page 43. Not only is the marking in a different location but the handle is more along the lines of the USMC Intrenching knife. Which scabbard do you think would be most correct? The leather U.S. Boyt 42 for the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife or the canvas scabbard used for the USMC Intrenching Knife?

Sorry - old pictures.

Bill

post-4347-0-60050400-1421250484.jpg

post-4347-0-93129800-1421250507.jpg

post-4347-0-26819100-1421250523.jpg

Frank Trzaska

Nice pieces.

Robin,

While I can not prove it I always thought the USMC only stamping was Disston, they made the Intrenching machete and marked it in the same location.

Still A Marine

I have not seen the Village Blacksmith version before, very elusive and super cool, thanks for posting. It would be most correct in the early Intrenching paper and canvas sheath to my mind.

My favorite is the Collins change over model that bridged the gap between the Intrenching and the HCK.

USMC%20HCK%20016a.jpg

USMC%20HCK%20014a.jpg