New Helmet - USN SPH-3

viking73

Hi,

Here is my latest pickup, a nice taped up USN SPH-3 helmet. The tag on the back is hard to read but I think it a 1970 contract date. It seems to be complete, but a little "rough" around the edges.

Here are some photos.

-Derek

post-5482-0-10019100-1420587547.jpg

post-5482-0-62408400-1420587568.jpg

Both visors are there are look to be in good shape and slide up and down easily. I am thinking about taking this apart and giving it a good scrubbing and cleaning. I hate that the cracks are there but I think it will display okay.

Any ideas of what the "B" on the back stands for or what helo squadron this may be from?

Also, I am not sure where the other end of the wire coming off the boom mic goes. On my U.S. Army SPH-4 there was a place to plug it in at the back. I don't see any holes or anything at the back of this helmet where this might go. Is there something inside I'm not seeing or am I missing a part off this helmet?

Thanks for looking.

-Derek

post-5482-0-37942000-1420588023.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice USN/USMC SPH-3B helmet in original early 1970s configuration. The B on the back could be for a squadron detachment or aircraft tail code? Is the gray microphone element the M-95A/UR? Sometimes (depending on aircraft type) there was a rectangular amplifier attached to the end of the boom microphone cable. The amplifier could be taped to the end of the long earphone cable.

Nice USN/USMC SPH-3B helmet in original early 1970s configuration. The B on the back could be for a squadron detachment or aircraft tail code? Is the gray microphone element the M-95A/UR? Sometimes (depending on aircraft type) there was a rectangular amplifier attached to the end of the boom microphone cable. The amplifier could be taped to the end of the long earphone cable.

Thanks. Yes, the gray mic is a M-95A/UR. Do you have any photos or drawings of that the amplifier so I'll know what it looks like?

-Derek

northcoastaero

The amplifier is a black plastic rectangular block about 1.5 inches x .75 inches x .5 inches. There are two holes in the left side to accept the boom microphone cable and two pins on the right side to plug into the aircraft communications cable along with the earphone cable from the helmet. I had an AM-3597B/A with 1967 and 1968 contract dates. Also had an AM-3597C/A with a 1973 contract date. Both variants look to be the same from the outside, except for the specification sticker on the front. Is there any electrical tape residue on the bottom of the helmet cables that would indicate that an amplifier was attached? I will do more research into the B that is on the back of the helmet.

• 5 years later...

Hi, Derek:

I'm not sure if my first attempt to contact you via this thread reached you since it didn't show up here as I expected.   I found this post while doing research on the very same microphone preamplifier mentioned by northcoastaero that would fit your helmet mic.  I found it in a lot of parts from an estate sale here in Michigan.  I don't know it's electrical condition, but it appears to be in good physical shape, and I'd like to donate it to your collection as I have no use for it.  Please feel free to contact me via the forum, or at my e-mail address below and I'll get it to you.

Best regards,

Kurt, Signal76

[email protected]