Rubber equipment

Gliderinf

Just bought a T-30 throat mike, which is bent in two in its box. How do i bend it out without cracking it ?

Also coiled rubber wire (for headphones etc) whats the best thing to do, so you can uncoil and use it ?

Any other advice on looking after Rubber equipment ? thumbsup.gif

• 5 years later...
RustyCanteen
Does this question come up any more?

JS, I would guess it does but is probably a question raised in the Preservation section.

Depends on the item, for WW2 rubber a little warmth (such as sunlight, being concious of UV damage) can soften the rubber if not too far gone. But it will harden like cement when it cools back down. Old rubber is best left alone though, be aware than any attempt to bend old rubber can result in damage and ruin the piece/affect the value.

RC

Have seen hair dryers used as well.Also know a guy who puts japanese rubberized rifle slings in the oven to soften them.

But as RC stated once cool it will harden again.Most cases leaving it alone is the best.There are usually lots of the htroat mics avaiable on line.Seen them for less than $10 on occassion.Normally around $$25-$20 if your paitient.

Rd

• 1 month later...

I have seen steam used to good effect for reshaping items, but the flexibility is only temporary.

For whatever reason, my US-made rubber items (gas masks, etc), seem to have retained much more flexibility, on average, than British or Canadian items of similar vintage.

Leaving it alone is the best advice.

Problem is, once heated or warmed, the chemical composition of old rubber is changed, permanently.

Old rubber seems to almost "vulcanize", naturally. In other words it can become hard/brittle. I've seen rubber-soled WW2 service shoes split from side to side when worn by re-enactors! Also, things like gas-mask hoses and the rubber face masks themselves can split. A lot depends upon how they've been stored and how much use they had in their service lives. Softer rubber-based compounds can degrade and become soft/tacky. My advice would be proceed with caution!