National Infantry Museum, Ft Benning, visited in 2013

BrianS

Contact Info:

Telephone 706 685-5800 Address 1775 Legacy Way
Columbus GA 31903

This is the third incarnation of the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning, and the best yet. An extension is planned to add an Armor Museum for the many tanks and vehicles that lined up at the old Museum, on base.

Flash Photography is not permitted, nor are camera bags and other back-packs, etc. I brought two cameras, with two fast lenses. I shot mostly in black and white, seems to fit with this museum.

A Waco glider is on display, the only one I've seen in recent memory. My Father earned his Glider Wings, along with his best friend- Joe Dullea. His friend was killed in a landing in Europe, the loss rate was so high that my Father was offered a transfer. He chose B-29's.

post-156439-0-19590100-1420500350.jpg

If you are anywhere in the vicinity- a must see. Plan some time, and go on a NICE day. This is not just a museum to see in the rain. Ft Benning moved many of the old WW-II buildings, including the one used by Patton, and created a WW-II "mini-base". There is a guided tour for the buildings, you can spend a lot of time there.

post-156439-0-17426900-1420501611.jpg

Commanding Officer's desk.

This place is a must-see. I'll have to go back into the "archives" for pictures of the old Infantry Museum and some of the tanks. I hope they manage to get the Armor Museum built.

post-156439-0-28609100-1420501791.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the NIM two years ago when I got a little downtime while training at Fort Benning. This was THE BEST museum that I have ever been to. Thanks for sharing!

Thaddeus