Some More Somalia PSYOP Products

bryang

Outstanding photos ... really brings back memories! Weird to think that this was already over 20 years ago.

Here are several from one of my trips outside Mogadishu. Conditions were better outside the city, out in the rural areas.

We made contact with different Somali clan and militia leadership, identified any significant weaponry, and destroyed several caches of land mines.

Me in "the Mog"
post-152877-0-87166100-1420609444.jpg

I'm standing on the HMMWV - this was near Beled Weyne

post-152877-0-68980100-1420609482.jpg

post-152877-0-56275300-1420609529.jpg

This derelict tank is one of many we encountered. This was north near Duusamareb

post-152877-0-24127800-1420609599.jpg

Taking a break. On 33,000 pounds of explosives. Took 10 of us about 7 hours to move - by hand - a hell of a lot of anti-tank mines, as well as dozens of active artillery and mortar rounds.

post-152877-0-92271200-1420609609.jpg

Me helping in rigging the mines to be detonated electronically:

post-152877-0-29196000-1420609747.jpg

The detonation was incredible. We took up position on high ground about a mile or so away and set the charge off.

One hell of a mushroom cloud:

post-152877-0-80408400-1420609819.jpg

Us, waiting for the dust and caustic fumes to settle before returning to check the damage. It left one hell of a massive hole in the ground.

post-152877-0-83232000-1420609865.jpg

Awesome pictures! Yeah, it is hard to believe that was 20 years ago. I never listened to my old man or grandpa when they warned me that time was fleeting. Thanks for sharing, Bryan. I'm also a "Bryan" with a "Y".

Bryan

Bryang and B-hinch: Thanks for the pics and PSYOP information. All good stuff.

I have some leaflets from A-stan when I was there, and some that my father had from Vietnam.

I did PSYOP for almost 20 years; I'm surprised my unit didn't get tagged to go over there. At the time, tho, our motto was "Low threat, high per diem". The Mog didn't fit that bill. :D

Bryang and B-hinch: Thanks for the pics and PSYOP information. All good stuff.

I have some leaflets from A-stan when I was there, and some that my father had from Vietnam.

I did PSYOP for almost 20 years; I'm surprised my unit didn't get tagged to go over there. At the time, tho, our motto was "Low threat, high per diem". The Mog didn't fit that bill. :D

Words to live by!

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan, you have any interest in selling that booklet? I thought I had all of the 4th PSYOP publications from Bragg but that one is new to me. I also wrote a 14,000 word report on Somalia and with that booklet I could add a new ending. I really like it.

Herb

Bryan, you have any interest in selling that booklet? I thought I had all of the 4th PSYOP publications from Bragg but that one is new to me. I also wrote a 14,000 word report on Somalia and with that booklet I could add a new ending. I really like it.

Herb

Herb,

I appreciate your interest in this PSYOP booklet, however its one of the few items from Somalia I have. I'd be happy, however, to make you a photocopy for your use as a reference source.

Let me know -

Best - Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Herb,

I appreciate your interest in this PSYOP booklet, however its one of the few items from Somalia I have. I'd be happy, however, to make you a photocopy for your use as a reference source.

Let me know -

Best - Bryan

No need. I had to move heaven and earth, but once I knew that booklet existed I wandered around Bragg trying to find a copy. I did find one although the person that scanned it for me wants to be incognito :-). At any rate, I have the images now so your copy is safe. I also found some data in my files on your AC-130 leaflet (I had one too but never bothered to do anything with it) and I added the comment: "Checking my notes I see that the CNN reported on 12 June 1993 that U.S. helicopters dropped the above leaflet before a night attack by AC-130 Spectre gunships. The back of the leaflet explained to the Somalis that the attack was aimed only at the local warlord Mohammad Aideed, and not at the citizens of Mogadishu."

The worst part is that at one time I had all 37 of the UNITAF leaflets. Somewhere along the way I decided I didn't need them and swapped them for other things, probably from more interesting wars. I kept maybe a dozen, but I wish I had kept them all. It would be nice to show a few more.

At any rate Bryan, thanks for answering. I don't consider myself a collector, I am really a researcher trying to document the history of PSYOP. You have so much good stuff that I drool every time I find a new post from you. It is important that we document and show this stuff and don't just stick it in a footlocker somewhere.

Herb

• 1 year later...

Would you be willing to make a few copies of those? I was on the ground at the airfield while you were overhead. If you have an aerial photograph of the airfield, you can see my position during United Shield very clearly on "Mortar Hill" due east of the old police training grounds and just north of "Mig Alley" (the box shaped area at the northeast corner of the airfield. I was in a TOW Hummer there a few yards from a 55gallon drum bunker. We had been told about the leaflets and to expect active C130 support prior to the landing. However, within a few hours after arrival, it was clear that Aidid was not going to wait for us to leave before getting technicals back onto the airfield. They started high speed runs up and down the field but there was little we could do at that range without clear hostile intent. Aidid eventually arrived in a technical "motorcade" surrounding his Mercedes and took a quick tour. There were a few firefights along the airfield line but I never heard the Spectres light them up. I did not get a chance to grab any leaflets but I would happily pay for copies if you would take the time to make them. I have one declassified low level aerial with wax pencil overlay of positions you may be interested in. I will see if I can take a pic. Maybe we can work a trade.

Chet

Last few things I'll post on this are a few leaflets I got my hands on:

I particularly liked these because this was one of the few leaflets which actually threaten the Somalis ... of course the AC-130 Spectre had the most impact on them.

attachicon.gifSlide76.JPG

attachicon.gifSlide77.JPG

attachicon.gifSlide78.JPG