Sleeping bags

craig_pickrall
Hello,

I actually found this forum when I was looking for more information about a sleeping bag that I bought. Thanks to this post I'm now sure that it's a M42 mountain sleeping bag. Thanks for posting the detailed information.

I got this case with my sleeping bag. Does anyone know is this is a specific case for the mountain sleeping bag or for outer acctic sleeping bag? I can't reconise it in the manual.

waterproofwrapcoverslee.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

It only has US on it.

I Also noticed this mountain sleeping bag cover for sale. Would this one perhaps be more correct for my sleeping bag?

covermountainsleepingba.jpg

covermountainsleepingba.jpg

Does anyone know to what temperature the mountain sleeping bag would be adequate? I'm condiering to use it for reenactment.

THANKS,

fRANK

The case is shown in Post # 21, 2nd photo, see FIG 3 & 6. It is for the 2 Artic bag setup.

The bag type carrier is what you should use with the Mountain Bag.

Properly used the Mountain Bag should be good down to 10 degrees F. I would not push this with a used bag. I would slowly build up to that tempature. It is important that it be used as called for in the manual. A ground cloth, foam or air matress and a tent will be a big plus.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Hello Craig,

Thanks a lot for answering all my questions at once. I'll buy the bag type carrier and see if I can find an arctic outer bag as well. Do you know how a ww2 outer arctic bag can be identified reconized compared to for example a M1949 outer arctic sleeping bag? (when there is no readable label)

Thanks,

Frank

craig_pickrall

You can use the search feature at the top of page. I'm pretty sure there is a good thread on the Artic Bag here. The inner bag used with that system is not the bag you have. The Mountain Bag is a complete separate bag.

I have never taken pics of any of my bags so I can't post pics and I don't recall who it was that posted them.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

I walked into a shop a couple of days ago and they had several M-1949 Mountain Sleeping Bags. They looked to be in excellent condition, maybe NOS. The bag/ contract into was printed on a tag. They were being sold for US $56.00. Is this a good price or is it too much?

It's just the sleeping bag itself, no cover/ bag that you stuff it into.

• 10 years later...

This is the full open bag. It has two laundry numbers inside and outside of cover. The inner has a dated tag but the outer has no tag or ink stamp that I can find

20210221_081619.jpg

20210221_081631.jpg

20210221_081807.jpg

20210221_083645.jpg

20210221_083657.jpg

20210221_083739.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.