Sleeping bags

- An arctic down sleeping bag or mountain sleeping bag. I'm not 100% sure that it's WWII but from what I understand the M1949 bags are different than this. It has no markings inside like the M49 bags and the zipper only goes half it's length. There are remains of a tag sewn exactly where they were sewn on other WWII arctic down bags I've seen. This also came in a WWII dated waterproof clothing bag.

post-137-1170272759.jpg

post-137-1170272790.jpg

bilko *Deceased*

M42 and M49 bag differed by the zipper length [half for 42 and full 49] and shell color.

M42 mounain bags came in 2 sizes reg and long, Arctic bags were a 2 part with a pinkish mummy style inner and a khaki rectangular outer.

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61663-forum-member-bilkos-dave-death-reported/

Greg Robinson

During the Korean War both the Army and Marine Corps issued the M1949 sleeping bag. It consisted of an inner and outer bag....using both together made up the "artic" bag. Here's pics of the markings of a USMC outer bag. These are much scarcer than the Army M1949's made for Korea.

post-4-1170279420.jpg

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

General Apathy

post-344-1170762704.jpg

post-344-1170762670.jpg

I have owned this sleeping bag for some years and have never seen another like it, or information for it. It is initially shaped like the regular woolen sleeping bag i.e. Mummy-shaped, however on either side of the face opening there are long tunnels of sewn on material identical to the bag material, through these are strips of thin webbing. The purpose appears to be to tighten the bag in the chest / shoulder area by using it like a draw string, but somehow for the small amount of adjustment it does not seem feasible. so what other purpose do they have. The zip is half bag length variety and very lightweight compared to late war zips, it also has a length of leather lace on the puller very similar to the ones used on mountain or ski troop sleeping bags. The bag itself is made with large panels that narrow down to a Vee shape as they near the foot end, and different from the regular woolen sleeping bag. The hood is nowhere as large as on the regular bag, and it is not edged with binding tape, neither is there any eyelet holes anywhere to attach a waterproof cover. If anyone has any thoughts on this bag I would appreciate hearing them.

General Apathy

No I had never given that a thought, never seen a mention of one anywhere for a bag like this. I know the British airborne had a padded camouflaged mummy shaped bag for their casualties, but that was far more substantial than this. The Americans had a a casualty sleeping bag for WWII but it is a large rectangular padded bag with zips around all four sides. Thanks again, yours is the first offer of an idea for use so far, would like to hear from some mountain collectors if they have any ideas.

craig_pickrall

I was looking for something else this morning (after my earlier post) and ran across the padded casuality bag. There was no mention of this bag included in that reference. As part of my searching I went thru the MED Catalogs for 1941 and 44 and saw nothing on this bag. I did not look thru the USAAF Catalog to see if it was mentioned there.

The only sleeping bag liners I am familiar with are cotton. I've never seen one in wool. Is it possible an inventive GI made the bag? Is it similar to blanket material?

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

General Apathy

It appears to be a well made item and not a field or 'rigger' produced thing. It would be nice if someone added that they had one also, and then it might add to it's originallity or authenticity.

• 8 months later...

This is an A-3 sleeping bag and is marked Army Air Forces. It has what I believe to be '44 date and was manufactured by the American Pad and Textile Co. It has the inner sheet and Paulin; Waterproof, which is marked "Property Air Forces, U.S. Army To be used as a protective cover for storing or transporting a type A-3 sleeping bag. May also be used as post-1721-1193356952.jpga ground cloth, tent, rain cover, waterproof etc."

• 6 months later...
Bob Hudson
I was looking for something else this morning (after my earlier post) and ran across the padded casuality bag. There was no mention of this bag included in that reference. As part of my searching I went thru the MED Catalogs for 1941 and 44 and saw nothing on this bag. I did not look thru the USAAF Catalog to see if it was mentioned there.

The only sleeping bag liners I am familiar with are cotton. I've never seen one in wool. Is it possible an inventive GI made the bag? Is it similar to blanket material?

I have one in wool, got it in a trunkload of stuff from a WWII soldier. I'll have to get some photos taken.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's a water repellent sleeping bag case, with a stamped label, unlike the one shown above which has a sewn-in label. This is from a 1944 contract:

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

I have not idea what this is, but it has the exact same spec number and date as the M-42 down sleeping bags:

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

General Apathy
I have not idea what this is, but it has the exact same spec number and date as the M-42 down sleeping bags:

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Hi Forum Support, you have actually answered your own question here, stating that it has the same spec number as the M-42 bags, this is the waterproof cover for the folded mountain troop bag. Great find, super condition, desirable by mountain collectors, never found one when I was looking for all that mountain stuff ????

I think you will recognise it if you take a look in one of the quartermaster catalogs I think the 1943 or such, it is shown in there with the down filled bags.

Cheers ( Lewis )

By the way you can see it has my name ( Lewis ) on the white label, please post back, I am here waiting for it to arrive.

Hi Forum Support, you have actually answered your own question here,

I figured it was some sort of cover but it did not look like anything I'd seen before and even after learning what it is I cannot find any other references online. I found it on a garage floor at a recent estate sale, along with a WWII mountain tent (sadly with no poles). I'm going to put them up for sale: I figure what better time to sell arctic gear than at the beginning of the summer?

It appears to be a well made item and not a field or 'rigger' produced thing. It would be nice if someone added that they had one also, and then it might add to it's originallity or authenticity.

I think it might be theater made. I have a similar one I showed on another post that had a machinegun belt as backing for the zipper. I would think that someone saw a wool sleeping bag and couldn't wait for one and had it custom made. Maybe by QM maybe by private person. Robert

craig_pickrall
I figured it was some sort of cover but it did not look like anything I'd seen before and even after learning what it is I cannot find any other references online. I found it on a garage floor at a recent estate sale, along with a WWII mountain tent (sadly with no poles). I'm going to put them up for sale: I figure what better time to sell arctic gear than at the beginning of the summer?

Forum Support, I have taken photos of all sleeping gear from the 1943 and 1946 QM Catalog. Your cover appears in both editions. It is the small X shaped item in the top left corner of the 2nd photo of both manuals. It is item 3 and described seperately in the item list.

post-5-1245815717.jpg

post-5-1245815725.jpg

post-5-1245815731.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Forum Support, I have taken photos of all sleeping gear from the 1943 and 1946 QM Catalog.

Thanks Craig: now I know it's formal name is "waterproof wrap cover," and that it is designed to hold two rolled up sleeping bags: that had confused me because it looks too big for one. Interesting how the first catalog says "The stock of this bag is low."

OliveDrab.com explains the system:

Bag, Sleeping, Arctic, M-1942

The Bag, Sleeping , Arctic, M-1942, consists of two down and feather filled cases for use in extreme low temperatures. The inner bag is mummy shaped. A full length zipper is used to close the quilt shaped outer bag. A waterproof wrap case, with flaps and tie tapes, is provided for carrying both rolled bags.

Here is the USMC M-1949 Mountain sleeping bag. Thought I would show it here before it sells. 1950 date, got good print on it.

29y5rg2.jpg

k0rhnr.jpg

zwj386.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I actually found this forum when I was looking for more information about a sleeping bag that I bought. Thanks to this post I'm now sure that it's a M42 mountain sleeping bag. Thanks for posting the detailed information.

I got this case with my sleeping bag. Does anyone know is this is a specific case for the mountain sleeping bag or for outer acctic sleeping bag? I can't reconise it in the manual.

waterproofwrapcoverslee.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

It only has US on it.

I Also noticed this mountain sleeping bag cover for sale. Would this one perhaps be more correct for my sleeping bag?

covermountainsleepingba.jpg

covermountainsleepingba.jpg

Does anyone know to what temperature the mountain sleeping bag would be adequate? I'm condiering to use it for reenactment.

THANKS,

fRANK

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.