WWII Gray Navy Rates

Old Marine

These are some of the WWII Gray Navy Rates from my collection.

The Propeller, Machinist's Mate 2nd Class, MM2; The Keys, Storekeeper 2nd Class, SK2; The Lightning bolts, Radioman 1st Class, RM1; and the Globe, Electrician's Mate 1st Class EM1

post-2843-1215713851.jpg

The backs;

The Navy makes it real easy to collect Rates, a lot of them are dated. Too bad the Army didn't adopt the practice of dating their patches.

Dennis

post-2843-1215714268.jpg

Brian Keith

Nice, gotta love the dated ones!

Why do you suppose the Nave thought it was a good idea to spend the man hours (woman hours) just to date these? It dosn't identify the maker.

BKW

Nice, gotta love the dated ones!

Why do you suppose the Nave thought it was a good idea to spend the man hours (woman hours) just to date these? It dosn't identify the maker.

BKW

Actually the dates are the date of the manufacturer's contract that they were currently under, and not the date of production. Sometimes the rating badge will have both the contract date and manufacturer ID.

I believe this occured from 1936 through at least 1946. I'm missing a 1936 and a 1939 example from my collection. I've seen a number of 1939 examples, but none for sale recently. I don't have a photo of a 1936 example.

-dan

post-769-1215868470.jpg

Brian Keith

Thanks for the explanation, I don't think I've noticed any dated in the '30's. I don't collect them specifically but have picked up a few over the years.

Nice selection you have there. The rubber stamped type seem more sensible, just would take a few seconds to do.

BKW

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a dated 1939.

Has anyone ever seen a dated 1936?

Anyone seen a Gray dated prior to 1943? This would be pre-dating the uniform regulations date, but would add weight to the "contract date" theory".

Thanks,

-dan

post-769-1216817916.jpg