Souvenirs from Tinian, 462nd Bomb Group

BrianS

When my Father passed away, Mom entrusted these to me. She told me that they were from Dad's stay on Tinian, one of the men their used scrap metal from the wrecks of planes to make these medallions. Mom told me that Dad wore them for a long time, finally put them away. I had never seen them.

ANYWAY! These were made as souvenirs for Airman of the 20th Air Force, maybe specific to the 462nd that my Dad was in. There are certainly more like it out there, as it looks like it was someone's hobby to make them and give them away. If anyone else has seen them, would appreciate the information.

16012162477_33ef3c160e_b.jpg20th AF B29 medallions

16010616860_4d97be80a1_b.jpg20th AF B29 medallions

16196091471_9fa63ccecc_b.jpgTinian Medallion

USCapturephotos

Wow. I have looked at many GI souvenir items but have never seen the likes of those before. You are probably correct that there are most likely more out there somewhere that other GI's brought home. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• 5 months later...

There were a lot of different styles of souvenirs that were made out of aircraft parts and brought back by the GI's from the Pacific area. All are unique in their own right as is yours. Thanks for showing.

• 1 month later...

Just seeing this. Congrats on a nice keepsake of your father's service. The pictorial work on those is particularly nice. Tough to say without seeing backside, but looks like those could be part of a watchband?

Tough to say without seeing backside, but looks like those could be part of a watchband?

Exactly my thought too...they look like "keepers" (or whatever the term is) from a watchband. The holes would be where the rivets were for the watchband itself.

Exactly my thought too...they look like "keepers" (or whatever the term is) from a watchband. The holes would be where the rivets were for the watchband itself.

Thats it Dave. Rivetted to an aluminum cuff bracelet.

post-20738-0-03283900-1438787791.jpg

Here is an aluminum trench art bracelet from Tinian and the 509th "Bomb Group"-- officially designated the "Composite Group" and responsible for the delivery of the Atomic bombs that ended the War.

The style is very similar to yours. I have seen another one like mine.

Scott

post-124583-0-85201800-1438833797.jpg post-124583-0-43586500-1438833806.jpg

post-124583-0-03643500-1438833816.jpg post-124583-0-01550800-1438833825.jpg

Oops- I see you did already. For some reason it didn't load when I first looked. Disregard....

Not sure I have ever seen one showing a torii gate like that. There was a concrete one on Saipan. May have provided inspiration.

• 10 months later...

Thankyou for posting these images, nice to see that others have more of these artifacts. I never saw my Dad wear these- or show them to any of the kids. My Mon knew exactly where he kept them, for when they would be passed down. The one bracelet that he wore when I was a kid was given to him by one of his High School students in the 1950s; was made from the instrument panel of an ME-109. The students Father was in the Luftwaffe, came to the US after the war. It's at the bottom of Lake Robin at Calloway Gardens, Dad lost it while swimming.

Thanks for sharing! My Grandfather was on Tinian with the 40th BG, but didn't bring anything like that back. Anything from Tinian, particularly Japanese items, is rare. There just doesn't seem to be much out there. Thanks again, very nice pieces of history.

Tom