One of those "If only it could speak." Marine HBT Shirt from Iwo Jima Vet

USdog

I got this off of ebay recently... Originally came from an estate not too far from me. These came from the estate of Don Walters, a mechanic in 2nd Battalion, 28th Marines and was at Iwo Jima.

There were three HBTs from the same estate listed, the other 2 were named UNIS marked and went into the hundreds, but this one stood out to me. It's really ragged and beat up, dirt on elbows and in person you can notice more dirt on the right side chest area. USMC emblem is not all there and some fading here and there. Oil stains too?

Unfortunately not named to the marine on the shirt :( but knowing where it came from is enough for me.

My friend on the forum, AirCorpsHJS, got some of his other items from his estate and have been posted here before. We think the marine might still be living, but not positive yet.

Hope you enjoy this piece...

Thanks for looking!

post-93633-0-65445100-1420398393.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys! Jay, I asked the seller if he had any more items from the estate and he said no, so I think you just missed out on the 3 hbts.

• 1 month later...

Well I was able to get into contact with Don. Got to talk to him about Iwo and it was really cool! I got a photo of him with his jacket.

Heard some amazing stories including a close call he had on the first day on Iwo. A mortar landed in the foxhole of Don and 2 other men, the 2 men with him were killed, but he made it.

Enjoy you guys!

post-93633-0-55039900-1423439367.jpg

That must have been an amazing experience. I wish I could meet the veterans who I own stuff from them. But they have all since passed :(

-Dave

BigDogMilitaria

Congratulations Connor. I know I told you already, but this is one of the coolest stories I have seen on the forum. From what you told me, he was really happy to see and talk to you. To be able to give back some happiness to one of these great men is really something special.

Such a rare opportunity to match the veteran with anything nowadays. Great pickup - thanks for sharing with Mr. Walters and with us!

blitzkrieg gsd

Very nice jacket and a chance to talk to the owner don't get any better then that. Did you have a chance to ask him if he wore that jacket while on Iwo? That would be very cool if he did. I would almost ask him if you get a chance to write you out a little statement of ownership and provenance.

I did ask him but he couldn't recall if he did or not. After all, it was 70 years ago. He did know that he wore the shirt (not mine) in the motorcycle photo in April 1945 on Iwo. Anyone know what type of shirt that is?

post-93633-0-83416900-1423450370.jpg

Looks like he is wearing the Shirt Flannel . If your talking about the guy driving the motor cycle .

Nick

Yes that is him. Sorry for not identifying I forgot. Thanks for the ID on the shirt!

You mean the guy in the driver's seat? It is regulation Marine Corps uniform shirt of the type worn with the blouse. You can tell it is USMC issue by the pointed pocket flaps.