E.L. Butts Medal Group-Indian Wars through WW1

Usa1918

I have been asked to post what I have been able to assemble so far. Have a complete file on BG Butts being prepared (should have AGO cards along with all of records....we were lucky that the records all survived.. First his history:

Edmund L. Butts 1890

Cullum No. 3383 • Jun 06, 1950 • Died in San Francisco, California

"Billy” Butts, as he was affectionately known to everyone in the Service, was born at Stillwater, Minnesota, August 5, 1868, the son of Edmund Gregory Butts and Amelia Augusta (White) Butts, who had removed from Delhi, New York and had settled at Stillwater when that town, as well as nearby Minneapolis and St. Paul, was but a small hamlet. The Butts family originally came from Surrey, England. Billy’s father was probate judge of Washington County, Minnesota, and in the community was a man of much influence, socially and politically.

Billy's early education was obtained in the local Stillwater schools, after which he matriculated for about a year with the University of Minnesota, where he joined the Chi Psi fraternity. Soon after, he was appointed by his congressman, Gilfillan, as an alternate, to a cadetship at West Point; and his principal having failed to pass the physical examination, Billy was admitted to the Academy, a member of the Class of 1890, in June, 1886, lacking two months of being 18 years old. The writer, a classmate, well remembers him in those days. He stood (I should judge) about five feet, nine inches tall, weighed about 155 pounds, was fair complexioned with brown hair, Grecian nose, firm mouth and chin, and a face betokening amiability and good fellowship. His physique was straight and trim and powerfully muscled. He was easily the best all-around athlete in the Class, if not in the Corps. He excelled in boxing, and on one occasion, as Class representative, successfully maintained the prestige of the Class by out-pointing and defeating a heavier and game, but less skillful antagonist from a lower Class. He wore high-ranking corporal chevrons in his yearling year and when a Second Classman was made the No. 1 first sergeant of the Corps. Desiring more time for study than this new responsibility afforded him, he later resigned his first sergeant’s warrant; otherwise, in his first class year, he might easily have been first captain of the Corps.

Space will not permit of an extended statement of his service after graduation in June 1890, until his retirement in August 1932, after more than forty-two years of commissioned service, during which he passed through all commissioned grades to include brigadier general, and served in all parts of the world. But here are some of the highlights:

He devised and established the Butts system of physical training throughout the Army, 1893-96; was Professor of Military Science & Tactics, University of Minnesota, 1909-12; was a veteran of the Sioux Indian War (Rosebud expedition); of the Spanish-American War (Santiago de Cuba): Philippine Insurrection; and First World War, participating in six major operations, including the Second Battle of the Marne, the St. Mihiel and the Meuse-Argonne; was Chief of Staff, 102nd Division, 1927-32; and closed his active service, as Commanding Officer, Pacific Coast Artillery District, in 1932.

There is an ancient Greek maxim, “Know thy opportunity". To Billy Butts that opportunity arrived on July 16, 1918. That was the day set by the German High Command for the Friedensturm—the last great drive that they would have to make to capture Paris, give the coup de a raw to France and end the War. Known as the Second Battle of the Marne, only the briefest reference here can be made to this world-decisive battle: How the German High Command had selected, as the key point of their assault, the Boin d'Aigremont, across the Marne, located on high ground in the defense sector of the 30th U.S. Regiment of Infantry, commanded by Colonel Butts; how Butts had organized his command in depth, perfecting a liaison with his field artillery support that has since become a model in the service; how the Germans initiated the battle at midnight, July 14-15, 1918, with a four-hour barrage from 89 field batteries, combing Butts’ sector, under cover of which they crossed the Marne with one shock division (to be supported by two other divisions) and formed for the attack; and how, after inflicting great losses on the Americans, and enduring losses ten-fold greater, the Germans, Baffled and beaten, backward reeled from a stubborn Butts and a barren field.

Through the dauntless courage with which Billy Butts had inspired his men, combined with his own able generalship, the Friedensturm had been squelched at its inception! Never again in this War were the Germans to regain the initiative: and in less than four months thereafter they had signed the Armistice and capitulated.

As Butts had no newspaper correspondent or publicity officer attached to his regiment, the important part played by himself and his command was not generally recognized by the people. However, he was cited by name and commended in orders by General Petain, Armee Francaise, and awarded the Croix de Guerre; was awarded the D.S.C., by General Pershing; and was twice recommended by his division commander (General Dickman) for immediate promotion; while some years later, after his retirement, General Hunter Liggett referring to this battle, wrote him: “...I always knew you were a fine soldier and a natural as well as a trained leader of men...You should be a major general today, in my opinion, for you richly earned it.” Moreover, the 30th Infantry was cited in orders by General Petain as "sustaining the principal shock of the German attack on July 15", and the regimental flag received the decoration of the Croix de Guerre with Palm; while recently the President of the United States has authorized the inscription on the regimental flag: "Rock of the Marne, July 14-18, 1918".

General Butts (then Captain) married, January 9, 1900. Lilian Stafford Hatl6. of New York City, and since his retirement they had made their home in San Francisco. Here they were active in social affairs, enjoying meeting and entertaining old friends and acquiring a host of new ones. As was natural in one who had been an outstanding athlete in his youth, he took great interest in sports of every kind—baseball, football, boxing, etc.,—and particularly enjoyed a day at the racetrack, with a small wager on “the ponies" to add interest to the occasion.

In addition to his well-known "Butts' Manual"—adopted by the Army for physical drill in the 1890’s—General Butts wrote and published in 1930 a small book entitled “The Keypoint of the Marne", in which he critically and candidly discussed the part played by the 30th Infantry in that decisive battle.

In this brief memoir space is not available to quote in extenso from the many citations and letters of commendation which General Butts received during his active service. These are to be found in the official records and may be inspected at any time. However, since his death, scores of other letters have been received by his widow, some of which should be mentioned here:

“The White House, Washington, June 14, 1950. Dear Mrs. Butts: I certainly was shocked to hear of the death of my good old friend, General Butts. You certainly have my sincere sympathy. He was a grand man and one with a military reputation that is hardly ever equaled. I am sorry that I didn't get to see him before he passed away. Sincerely yours, (Sgd.) Harry Truman."

“Headquarters Sixth Army, Presidio of San Francisco, California, 8 June, 1950. My dear Mrs. Butts...In expressing my personal sympathy and the admiration of the entire Army, I assure you that your husband, through his courage and leadership, has reserved for himself the standing accorded this nation's great military men. His past contributions to the development of the Army during his long service in a variety of posts is surpassed only by his personal valor and courageous leadership of American soldiers in battle from the Indian wars through the first World War...Sincerely yours, (Sgd.) W. M. Robertson,

"Major General, USA.

“Deputy Commanding General.”

From Reunion Proceedings of the 30th Infantry, A.E.F., at the New York Athletic Club, New York City, April 15, 1950.

"The man whom we are always thinking of was our Commanding Officer on the Marne River, July 14, 1918, Major General Edmund L. Butts. Men, if we ever amounted to anything as a fighting unit—and we know we did—it was by the Grace of God and General Butts...”

As will be seen, the foregoing Proceedings were held before the death of General Butts. Since that event Mrs. Butts has received forty-five letters of condolence from persons who served in the Regiment under him as enlisted men at the Second Battle of the Marne—a circumstance that has greatly touched her heart.

Since his retirement in 1932 General Butts' health had remained fairly good until about nine years ago, when there gradually developed a rare disease of the circulatory system, "polycythemia rubra vera” (too many red corpuscles), for which he was treated at the Letterman Hospital, San Francisco. Despite frequent bleedings and blood transfusions, his health did not improve—in fact, grew worse. Meanwhile, hearing of experimental treatment of similar diseases by Dr. John Lawrence (brother of the noted physicist) with irradiated phosphorus isotopes, from the University of California’s cyclotron, he got in touch with Dr. Lawrence and offered himself as a "guinea pig” for experimental treatment, under which his health seemed to improve. While the above named disease doubtless was the proximate cause of death, the immediate cause was a cerebral hemorrhage on May 31, while riding with Mrs. Butts. Taken immediately to the Letterman Hospital, he never regained consciousness and died on June 6. The funeral services, with a large attendance, were held June 9 in the Presidio Chapel and, as was most fitting, were conducted by Chaplain Charles E. Brown, USA, who was chaplain of the 30th Infantry in the First World War. Interment followed in the Presidio National Cemetery, near the flagpole.

The writer will not attempt here an estimate of General Butts' character nor try to evaluate the great services he rendered to his country, for his record as briefly sketched above speaks for itself. Undoubtedly the high water mark of his career was reached in the Second Battle of the Marne. It is to be commemorated by a bronze tablet placed on the wall of the Presidio chapel, with the following inscription:

In Memory of Brigadier General Edmund L. Butts The Rock of the Marne Who Commanded the Thirtieth U.S. Infantry in the Second Battle of the Marne July 14-18, 1918.

—William Church Davis

post-99599-0-53496800-1420327886.jpg

His Indian Wars Medal No259 (Obverse and Reverse)-Thanks to several Forum Medals for IDing this for me. I have had the medal for years and, with no reference for it, had no idea it belonged to him.

post-99599-0-14874800-1420328151.jpg

post-99599-0-40600900-1420328156.jpg

For the grouping I added a generic, Croix de Guerre with palm that he was awarded for his DSC action as well as a generic 3rd ID Victory medal with 6 bars. I am still actively looking for his Cuban Occupation No497, his Spanish War Service No9236 and his Mexican Border Service #26078. He was eligible for the Purple Heart based on being gassed in the same action he won his DSC and a Army of Occupation medal, but will have to wait for his records to see if he ever applied for either, as well as seeing if I have missed any medals in the group. Thanks for looking

Keith

Thanks Adam. I have a copy from the website, but could not get the picture to copy.

And Mike, thanks to you on starting me on this...am running down a couple of possible leads

Keith

• 6 months later...

Samuel Bismukes served in the United States 9th and 10th Cavalry, known as the Buffalo Soldiers, during the Indian Wars and received the Indian Wars Campaign Medal number 759. He served in many different areas of the west including Fort Apache, Arizona Territory, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Bonita Canon, Arizona Territory, Fort Verde, Arizona Territory among others. Bismukes also served in the Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection.

Dick

post-9487-0-72246400-1437775945.jpg

post-9487-0-99892800-1437775957.jpg

post-9487-0-15504200-1437776067.jpg

• 6 years later...