Wing Identification/ Confirmation Nash Kelvinator?

diggummup

I've searched high and low and scoured the internet for some type of definitive proof that these wings are from the Nash Kelvinator Company. I recently found a pair on eBay that were listed for a couple hundred bucks.http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-E-CO-UTICA-STERLING-NASH-KELVINATOR-WW2-UNITED-STATES-PRODUCTION-WING-/121526746910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b8eff1e I messaged the seller and he told me that he used to have one with a red star in the center as well as the one he had for sale which had a yellow star. Mine have a white star. He also told me that he person who bought it from him (the red star one) is an avid collector of pins made by A.E. Co. Utica. They also told him that they've seen one sell for more than $300 at a military show. This person (the buyer) also said that they have several but that these are very hard to find. He didn't want to give up his source of information because it is a buyer/customer of his. I can understand that and respect it. I've seen a pair on this site with little or no info. about them either. Just the same NK Co. reference. See reply number 72 of this thread- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2222-show-your-sterling-wings/page-3?hl=%20nash%20%20kelvinator

I just want to try and confirm that these wings are actually from Nash Kelvinator. If not then what do the letters represent?

Here are mine-

02446e4fb64a08eeaf7f.jpgnash_02446e4fb64a08eeaf7f_2.jpg?is=true&

nash_02446e4fb64a08eeaf7f_3.jpg?is=true&

Search the net "Nash-Kelvinator in WW2"......you will find that N-K manufactured radial engines for Navy fighters and also was the major manufacturer of helicopters in WW2.

The center of your wing is a radial aircraft engine and the anchor tell you of it's Navy connection. I would think of this badge as a service award for a employee.......the Navy would have most likely used the "E" award. I haven't been in collecting for sometime but the prices seem high.......this is a civilian item.

Search the net "Nash-Kelvinator in WW2"......you will find that N-K manufactured radial engines for Navy fighters and also was the major manufacturer of helicopters in WW2.

The center of your wing is a radial aircraft engine and the anchor tell you of it's Navy connection. I would think of this badge as a service award for a employee.......the Navy would have most likely used the "E" award. I haven't been in collecting for sometime but the prices seem high.......this is a civilian item

I understand and I agree, the evidence does all point in that direction. I was just looking for something concrete I guess, whether that is possible or not I don't know. Thanks for the replies.

ps- I think that price is overly inflated too.

• 3 weeks later...

Post number 72 is mine. I too looked for some sort of confirmation on the NK wing that I have, as that my father worked at Nash Kelvenator during the war, doing engine run ups, (he was 16/17 at the time) but he does not remember these wings. Several years ago I saw a red star version sell for like 175.00 or so. I suppose to put this to rest we need a NK war time plant paper that speaks of these wings.

Cheers, Dave

• 6 years later...

I met a lady at an antique appraisal fair that had brought in a few of these, She said that worked at the plant and that these were indeed employee award pins.  Not exactly the documentation you may seek, but that cleared up a long held mystery for me!

• 2 years later...

Just found your red star in an estate sale of a 50+ year collector.  Figured you might enjoy.

20230721_075755.jpg