WW2 US Navy Nurse Hat Portrait

TCSchultz

I came across this photo which was not named but showed this Navy Nurse's Hat to good advantage so I thought I'd post it for everyone's reference.

post-17286-0-17071200-1420315294.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you liked the picture and happy to post it. If you don't have them already the two volume reference books "Dressed For Duty" from Bender Publishing are a great reference guide to Women's Uniforms including Navy Nurses. I have a couple of pictures in the second volume that I submitted to the author that she was able to use.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

And here is a larger scan for more detail:

Interesting hat insignia. Can you tell what it is? The larger scan is a little blurry to be positive what it is.

...Kat

It appears to be the standard NNC anchor with oak leaf with NNC letters.I believe they wore the larger 1 1/8 pin back insignia for collars as a cap device as well.

It appears to be the standard NNC anchor with oak leaf with NNC letters.I believe they wore the larger 1 1/8 pin back insignia for collars as a cap device as well.

Ron,

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I did not know they wore it on the cap as well.

Thanks!....Kat

Thanks for the replies and to be honest I didn't even notice that the hat badge was different. The scan is fuzzy as it's the largest one I could post due to the forum size restrictions but also because the original is about the size of the first scan as it was in a small pocket folder.

Does any one have an example of one of these style hats? Were they lined? Was the band sewn to to the cover or were they replaceable like the on the visor hats?

Jerry I have one of both (white and blue), neither have their original chinstraps. They were made by Knox and had the typical silk lining. I believe the band was tacked along the lower edge but I'll try and pull them out to confirm.