CHINA MARINE JACKET

BEAST

This is from the same show that had the Red Hand Flag. Looking at upcoming listings, I ran across this one. No photos yet.

History Detectives

China Marine Jacket; Airstream Caravan; Lincoln Forgery

Wednesday, July 23

An Airstream caravan; a Marine's jacket from WWII with stitched inscriptions; and sheet music that reportedly has Abraham Lincoln's signature.

CC, Stereo, Letterboxed TVG Educational Taping Rights: 1 year

• 2 weeks later...

From the website:

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/i...ions/index.html

CHINA MARINE JACKET

AIRING: Season 6, Episode 4

THE DETECTIVE: Gwen Wright

THE PLACE: Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles

THE CASE:

A man in Santa Monica, CA received an embroidered jacket as a gift from his son. Our contributor, a former Marine, is intrigued by the jacket’s stitched inscriptions, which read: “4th Marines,” “Shanghai,” “China,” “1937-1939” and “MWD.”

He knows the 4th Marines were transferred from Shanghai to the Philippines in November 1941 amidst growing tensions with the Japanese. The unit was attacked by the Japanese on the same day as the Pearl Harbor bombings. Some of the men who fought in the Philippines never returned, having suffered the atrocities of Japanese imprisonment and the Bataan Death March.

But who did this particular jacket belong to, and what was his legacy as a Marine?

History Detectives investigates the story of the “China Marines,” a regiment that worked under extreme circumstances to keep the peace and protect American interests during the perilous ramp up to World War II.

Oh no! There goes the market for embroidered work associated with China Marines...prices will climb high pinch.gif several years ago FJP had some fine pieces similar to this..well it will be fun to see who they get to explain the history of the 4th in Shanghai.....

Striking 9th

I watched this show and it was informative. I was surprised to see on the credits that Gunny Red (a member here) from the MCLM museum was responsible for a lot of their research. Great work Red!

Scott

I watched it and thought they did an excellent job on presenting the 4th Marines story and the research.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

I too watched this episode and thought it excellent. I especially liked the film footage of members of the old Fourth Regiment.

Jim

How could I miss not watching that show....I thought they did a fine job of research and it was fun to see Mike Miller doing his thing....I've been in that Quantico research room countless times...and i bet I know who's large format Shanghai Album they had laying on the table while they talked! Really liked the tie in to Chinese family...great story that added to the segment! Pretty easy search though for the Marine, with the muster rolls available...just it takes so long to go through the 4th list....also the films they showed are also in the Price collection (Bob: I've got a copy to show you when you head north) and they will be heavily featured in a upcoming documentary on China Marines.....I think a few familiar images from this web site will also find there way in the film as well. ;)