Salvage Sailor's USN Collection - "it just followed me home"

In the USN, you could be trained in the service schools, primarily "A" schools, to become 'rated' and then go to the fleet, or you could go to the fleet out of boot camp the then 'strike' for a rate by doing independent study and the corespondence course.

This is the corespondence course for a QM striker (also used by a rated QMSN to advance to QM3)

To advance a sailor needed four (4) things.

1. a good evaluation scored from 1.0 to 4.0 with a recommendation for advancement.

2. Time in rate

3. Time in service

4. A passing grade on the advancement test in your rate

Corespondence courses were available in all USN rates as well as other disciplines (Mathematics, blueprint reading & Sketching, fluid mechanics, etc) that you could take for self study and also to combat boredom on long sea tours.

016_Manual_QM_3___2.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salvage ships were extremely versatile and used for many other missions including Oceanographic, Surveying, the Atomic Tests, Arctic Operations (DewLine etc), Weapons Testing (target towing and recovery of targets), Submersible testing, and lots of (can't say what) classified operations & test beds.

These are Oceanographic references

023_Manuals_ocean.jpg

024_Manuals_ocean.jpg

025_Manuals_ocean.jpg

And then there was our primary mission - Marine Salvage

The Pearl Harbor study released in 1968 by VADM Homer Wallin

There are two giants of USN Salvage, Edward Ellsberg who raised sunken subs between the wars, invented much of the diving gear, anchors & techniques on the spot, and in WWII was the Atlantic Salvage Forces commander in Africa, the Med, and the ETO (including the Normandy invasion and Mulberry etc deployment)

The other man was Homer Wallin, the Salvor of Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Salvage Forces commander.

032_Manuals_Salvage.jpg

033_Manuals_Salvage.jpg

These are USN surface ship alarms for General Quarter, Chemical Attack & the Collision Alarm. They were salvaged from a WWII era ship that was being scrapped.

These alarms would be mounted in sets in several locations - on the bridge, after conn, port & starboard quarterdecks and possibly down in main control.

Alarms_01.jpg

The GQ alarm is on my WWII era salvage ships & cold war/Vietnam era destroyers was the familar Hollywood movie klaxon BONG! BONG! BONG! which immediately got your blood running and your feet and elbows pumping.

When you heard this alarm, you would race to your GQ station as assigned on the Watch, Quarter & Station Bill (I'll show this board later). You would go UP and FORWARD to PORT, or DOWN & AFT to STARBOARD to avoid a 'Chinese Fire Drill' or the more familiar Cluster....you know the rest (hey, I'm an old guy, I don't have to be PC).

The green alarm is the Chemical Attack alarm - on our ships, this was a constant loud tone. That meant drop what you're doing, get your gas mask on & either get off the decks or stay inside the compartments. If you were out on deck, oh well! This was also known as the NBC Alarm -Nuclear Biological Chemical or No Body Cares so Kiss your A.. Goodbye Alarm.

The yellow alarm is the Collision Alarm which in the Salvage business one was bound to hear for real sooner or later, usually moments after you were grounded on a reef or in the mud. This alarm was a low to high pitched tone, somewhat like an air raid alarm but it would stop at the high end and go back to the low to high peal.

The numbering plates are painted over multiple times so I can't see the info, but also if you look closely at the green & yellow alarms, you'll notice that they've been swapped out. There is yellow under the green & green under the yellow.

Alarms_02.jpg

Alarms_03.jpg

Alarms_04.jpg

Battle lanterns were hung all over USN ships in passageways, work spaces, berthing spaces, mess decks, and also in the damage control lockers. The older WWI & WWII models were grey, but the later Korean to present era battle lanterns were yellow.

These lanterns were salvaged from another target being towed out to sea.

Battle Lanterns are basically the same but come in two (2) types - hardwired and portable. They are mounted to bulkheads or overheads with either a vertical or horizontal twist bracket.

Lanterns_01.jpg

Lanterns_02.jpg

Lanterns_03.jpg

and this is the hard wired version. It would go on if the ship 'dropped the load' or by using the push button switch on the top. I'm showing this lantern upside down, when mounted on the bulkhead or overhead, the wire would be on the side or bottom, and the US faceplate up.

Lanterns_06.jpg

Lanterns_07.jpg

Lanterns_08.jpg

nice displays!

Regards,

Michael Sweeney--Researcher and Collector of WW2 77TH Division

If you have any named items to a 77th Division Soldier please contact me!!!

In memoroy of my Grandfather

Eugene Henry Sweeney

1st Lieutenant of the 306th

Infantry Regiment Company L -

Veteran of Guam and Leyte

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 8 months later...

Great items, Craig.

I, also, collect USN unit plaques.

As I'm an ex-RD who converted to DP, the RD gear brought back many memories. I spent many an hour staring at an SPS-10...

What? No Watch Quarter & Station Bill in your collection? :)

Thanks for posting.

-dan

Book Link: U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs, and Sailor Folk Art

Wanted: USN Liberty Cuffs, vintage bullion rating badges, pre-1914 rating badges and vintage USN Police style Badges.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

I've got no business at all making any sort of a comment about anything Naval, so I'll make a comment anyway as a gesture of enthusiastic empathy.

These are really great stuff! bravo.gif

HONORING FAMILY LtCol Wm Russell (1679-1757) VA Mil; Pvt Zachariah McKay (1714-97) Frederick VA Mil; BrigGen Evan Shelby, Jr (1719-94) VA Mil; Pvt Vincent Hobbs (1722-1808) Wythe VA Mil; Pvt Hugh Alexander (1724-77); Lt John R. Litton (1726-1804); Bvt BrigGen/Col Wm W. Russell (1735-93) 5th VA Rgmt; Lt James Scott (1736-1817); Capt John Murray, Sr (1747-1833); Capt John Sehorn, Sr (1748-1831) VA Mil; Pvt Corbin Lane (1750-1816) Franklin/TN Mil; Cpl Jesse D. Reynolds (1750-1836) 5th VA Rgmt; Capt. Solomon C. Litton (1751-1844); 1Lt Christopher Casey (1754-1840) SC Mil; Pvt Mark Adams (1755-1828); Pvt Randolph White (1755-1831) Bailey's Co. VA Rgmt; Capt. John R. Russell (1758-1838); Pvt Joseph T. Cooley (1767-1826) Fort Hempstead Mil; Pvt Thomas Barron (1776-1863) 1812; Capt. John Baumgardner (1787-1853) VA Mil; Pvt Joel Estep (1828-1864) Co B 5th KY Inf CSA & US; Pvt George B. Bell (1833-1910) Co C 47th IL Inf US; Cpl Daniel H. Barron (1838-1910) Co B 19th TN Rgmt Inf CSA; Capt Richard K. Kaufman (1908-1946) 7th PRG/3rd AF CCU; T-5 Vernon L. Bell (1926-95) 1802nd Spec Rgmt; PO2 Murray J. Heichman (1932-2019) HQSB/MCRD; PFC Jess Long (1934-2017) US Army; PFC Donald W. Johnson (1931-) 43rd ID HQ; A1C Keith W. Bell (1931-2011) 314th TCW; A3C Michael S. Bell (1946-) 3346th CMS; A1C Sam W. Lee (1954-2017) 2d BW; AW3 Keith J. Price (1975-) VP-10; 1Lt Matthew Wm Bell (1985-) 82nd Abn/SOC

Great items, Craig.

I, also, collect USN unit plaques.

As I'm an ex-RD who converted to DP, the RD gear brought back many memories. I spent many an hour staring at an SPS-10...

What? No Watch Quarter & Station Bill in your collection? :)

Thanks for posting.

-dan

Dan,

Do you want the mid-watch so you can sleep in for morning quarters?

PS - I'll be posting more plaques soon thumbsup.gif

IMG_3649.JPG