This name ring any bells

wingman68

I have an interest in the USAAF Pilots who defended Darwin in early 42, there were a small number of P40s in Darwin and the defence of which rested on these guys shoulders for a period, I believe most were shot down in action when the Japs raided in 42, I have been reading and come across the name and colour picture of a Pilot named Clyde H Barnett Jnr think he was a Lt he downed two Japs over Darwin and am wondering if anyone may know of his exploits in a bit more detail. he flew with the 49th Fighter Groups 8 Sqdn he flew out of Strauss Airstrip.

I have an interest in the USAAF Pilots who defended Darwin in early 42, there were a small number of P40s in Darwin and the defence of which rested on these guys shoulders for a period, I believe most were shot down in action when the Japs raided in 42, I have been reading and come across the name and colour picture of a Pilot named Clyde H Barnett Jnr think he was a Lt he downed two Japs over Darwin and am wondering if anyone may know of his exploits in a bit more detail. he flew with the 49th Fighter Groups 8 Sqdn he flew out of Strauss Airstrip.

I did a little research. I think his name was Clyde Haywood Barnett Jr. He was born on 06-23-16 and died on 04-24-02. He served in the USAAF and USAF from 02-01-40 to 06-30-61. He retired as a Lt Col. He's buried in Arligton Cemetry. Other than the two kills at Dawin, I couldn't find anything else about his war service. Hope this helps. Dave

Thankyou so much Dave thats great, As a boy I lived in Darwin and my dad and I used to go out to the old Airstrips and kick around in those days talking the 70s here there was still the old wire netting that was strung up as camolflage over the revetments was still there although they had dropped and were just hanging down the sides of the old gum trees, we used to find all sorts of things laying about, the Airstrips are still there today one was maintained by the RAAF as an emergency strip for years however I dont think they do any more due to the old bitumen being not suitable for jets. The early days of the war the P40 guys were the ones who protected us, they did there best to hold things back until the reinforcements arrived, part of our history now, thanks again.