P-38 & P-51 in Chinese Markings

daniel griffin

Government Issue

The tail markings remind me of the pre-war red and white stripes on US aircraft. What time frame are these photos from? Immediately after WWII in the late '40s?

carbinephalen

They may be for training purposes? We apply enemy markings and insignia to our modern fighters to make exercises more authentic.

doinworkinvans

I wouldnt believe these to be trainers...the chinese were not our enemy at this point

I would think these photos are pretty early...

They may have been training planes for chinese cadets, but certainly not trainers for us to shoot down

these would fall more in line with the AVG - CATF time period

These had to be late war or post war photos. Both types didn't reach China till well after the AVG-CATF time frame, especially the P-51D. Oh yea, the tail stripes are blue and white as opposed to the red and white stripes used by American planes until 1942.

doinworkinvans

These had to be late war or post war photos. Both types didn't reach China till well after the AVG-CATF time frame, especially the P-51D. Oh yea, the tail stripes are blue and white as opposed to the red and white stripes used by American planes until 1942.

Lee,

How silly of me...I dont know why in the world I would think the P51 and 38 were there so early....I think the only thing I saw was the china emblem...goodness gracious i need to go back to bed and try again! :blink:

Very interesting photos! As mentioned by Lee, very late WW2 or early post war. Possible lend lease or fighters purchased from the U.S. for the Chinese Air Force. Great photos either way!

JD