Chosun Hotel Seoul Korea Guestbook Korean War

irish

Here is an interesting item. As noted in the topic, this was a sign in book for this Hotel. I get the feeling this may have been a Hotel under the control and run the U.S. Military. The book is large with many pages of signatures. This being a small sample. Some interesting individuals had stayed there during the war. Military, Allied, USO, Government. I get this out every couple of years to look at. enjoy.

post-758-0-89161800-1420141047.jpg

Thank you, if one looks at the some of the units listed it is quite interesting. On one of the pages shown there is 2 individuals from UNPIK, Partisans in Korea. They are listed as members of 8240AU.

• 5 years later...

Hello Irish, my Grandpa, John Amoruso, was the front desk clerk at the Chosun Hotel during the Korean war, part of the 8616 AU. In his scrap book there are MANY photos of the hotel, as well as the staff and guests that visited. I immediately recognized Johnny Standley's signature as he left one for my grandpa with the phrase "Its in the book" (as well as his Van Nuys telephone number!!) actually have a photo. In one of the photos you can clearly see this book in the left corner of the check in desk.

Horace Heidt and his orchestra toured for the USO shows so i see they are all their too. What is of most importance is Gen. Maxwell D taylor's signature, as he was visiting the HQ to begin transition as leader of the 8th army. This is where my grandpa comes in, he was actually a very good cook out of brooklyn, and the whole hotel enjoyed his feasts, so when they heard the General was coming, they decided to host a banquet for him, and they chose my Grandpa and his italian recipes to dine on. They shipped all the necessary foods from fort hamilton in brooklyn (as it was a stones throw from where my great grandma would shop for his ingredients before sendng them over). He had to teach the korean hotel staff how to make Brazzole and meatballs.

The dinner was a success and he received a promotion to corporal for the event.

I actually have the letter dignifying the promotion as well as the original menu from the 1953 banquet, i will post these soon once i open up the book.

How in gods name did you ever come across this??! Also, did you scan all the pages? I would love to see them all is possible, and if my grandpa or is CO's name is listed. (Colonel Donald R. Richardson).

Thanks for keeping this history alive. I am working with an author who is creating a book on the Chosun hotel during Colonial Korea, would you mind if in the future you could scan or take great resolution photos of the cover, inner cover and pages?

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.05.29 PM.png