Iraq PASGT Build

PriorityOne

This is a put together helmet that I just finished.

- Lightweight PASGT

- 3 Color Desert Cover (dated 2002 or 3 I think)

- Green Helmet Band with Cat Eyes

- Sun, Wind, and Dust Goggles (smoke lens)

- Cut GI Sock for Goggle Cover

- NVG Mount and Arm

- First Aid Dressing

- Zippo Lighter

- Paracord for Goggle Retention

- Brigade Quartermaster Suspension Cooling Pad

If there is anything else I should add or get rid of, please tell me! Thanks for looking!

post-153263-0-35791400-1420137139.jpg

I never saw guys putting much "Junk" in the helmet bands like the lighter; too easy to loose.....the stripper clip adapter for the M16 was about it. It fits nicely on the elastic band. Only put the pad and straps on if you're making it for a jumping unit (82nd, 173rd, etc). Different unit had different SOP's - 90mph tape with blood type on the side, 550 dummy cord for NVG's, etc.

The 550 cord tie-downs were usually on the helmet band itself....you remove the "guts" of the cords for this. Do a girth hitch over the helmet band on four corners, then run the 550 cord through the slits in the helmet cover and tie off to the helmet suspension - burning the frayed ends with a bic lighter. I suppose one could tie-down the goggles like this - but it'd make it a pain to remove them (Im tall and they always clip doorways when I keep them on). What I found for the goggles was the giant safety pin on the ammo bandoleers could be run through the strap and the helmet cover, but removed quickly.

The tie down stuff is still in a Ranger SOP book here:

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/6thRTBn/Content/Tiedowns%20SOP.pdf

Nice looking helmet!

Actually just thought of this, my cover being a desert cover does not have those slits, so the cord would have to be outside.

I had to poke a hole in the cover so I could put the NVG mount on (actually twice because the cover was crooked the first time :dry:)

post-153263-0-29884400-1420150806.jpg

Replaced the cooling pad with a foam doughnut mostly because the helmet is lacking space (its a XS) and it looks a little better like this.

Also added a airborne pad.

post-153263-0-77560200-1420150849.jpg

Here is another one I built today, instead of all new components I used some used stuff.

- Medium PASGT

- Three Color Cover with Velcro on Top for IR or Glint Square

- Sun, Wind, and Dust Goggles (Day Yellow Laser lens)

- Cut GI Sock for Goggle Cover

- Nylon String for Goggle Retention

- Brigade Quartermaster Suspension Cooling Pad

I would Like to add a used IR 1x1 square, used Airborne Straps, a used Airborne Pad, and a used NVG mount and arm. If anyone has spares, message me. Thanks for looking again!

post-153263-0-39875700-1420155197.jpg

Since my helmet has the airborne straps, should I add a airborne pad?

not only airborne wore AB straps others would too because it kept the helmet in place better... some non airborne also wore the pad because it was better protected and comfier but some didnt as well

That's what I thought, The lightweight PASGT comes with the strap from the factory. I was asking about the pad because I was looking for what was the most common practice with PASGTs. Thanks for the reply Jake!

Just a comment on the PASGT helmet and the airborne set up. I came out of an airborne unit and kept my PASGT helmet with the pad and the rabbit ears (some guys liked to stick them up in back under the cover band, hence the term) when I went to Desert Storm. Also, soldiers who prossessed through Fort Bragg would get the same gear that they issued to the Airborne; I ended up getting a brand new maroon beret as I had to go back to Fort Bragg before heading to Saudi Arabia in December 1990. So its reasonable that some soldiers who are not airborne would have the pad and straps anyway.

Also, I never used the straps once I left the airborne, but kept them stuck up under the webbing inside the helmet. I picked up another airborne PASGT helmet at the flea market a couple of months ago and it was rigged just like mine, so I know that other soldiers were doing the same thing I did.