M1 carbine Standard Products closet find

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

I bought this off a local businessman, who took the gun in trade back in the late 60's for a tank of oil...He fired a few rounds with his son, and put it in the closet until a few years ago, when he sold it to me....

Made by Standard Products, has an Inland 44 dated barrel...I have read Inland supplied barrels to other carbine manucfacturers...true? Is this a factory untouched, other than the Korean War mod?

Any info would be great!

Where can I post pics of a 1933 banner mauser on this site?

post-155518-0-24706400-1420123797.jpg

post-155518-0-55720800-1420123901.jpg

post-155518-0-25752100-1420124029.jpg

Back in the '60s I'd guess these could be picked up very reasonably and I imagine the cost of a tank of oil was a drop in the bucket compared to today. I remember as a youngster (also in the '60s ) in the sporting goods dept of a good size department store seeing a wood box with probably 15 or 20 carbines in it for sale. I was to young to buy one but I remember it being really neat to see real army rifles close up. I have no recollection of the price. Your Standard Products carbine is a beauty.

Great Find! I'm no expert, but it's a great looking carbine. The books by Larry Ruth, (War Baby! and War Baby! Comes Home) will answer your questions.

Thanks for showing it.

BKW

Dirt Detective

Great lookin Standard products. Yes Inland did provide barrels for Standard Products..In 1944 the S P carbine was made with the adjustable sight, this looks like a stamped sight marked for Inland. I think SP should have the H in a shield mark on the side of the sight..but with carbines and all the sub contractors nothing is 100%.. LOL Nice rifle, congrats.

As to your questions, I believe all carbines were made in '45 or earlier so I don't think you could call it "factory untouched". Standard Products contracts may have ended even earlier. Sights, bayo lug, safety etc may have been added in a rebuild. Others more knowledgeable than me will probably chime in.

Thats a great carbine.What a closet beauty.

Having them factory or book or collector"correct" is nice but to me yours is correct as is.This is how it ended it service life and has set in its configuration.I wouldnt change a thing.

Thanks for posting.

Very nice carbine, but not an factory original. the carbines went through post was refurbishment to add the bayonet lugs and adjustable sights or any worn out internal parts. Although a couple did use a adjustable sight late in the war(Inland and Winchester I believe)

But, it probably hasn't been messed with since the rebuild unless the previous owners changed out some of the internal parts.

Very nice piece! Take care of it but take it out and shoot it, great little rifles for target sporting. I own two of them. Thanks for the story-Jim

phantomfixer

Thanks guys! I do shoot it at an indoor range which is kinda lame...but the only legal spot around Dover to shoot.....it came with three 15 rnd magazines and one 30 rnd. Fun gun to shoot and it is a keeper!

very nice stock Ronald and dig the WWII configuration

Sorry for the loss of Molly ...Leo...... I just lost my best friend too....followed me everywhere sat beside me, went everywhere he could with me....a pointer mix named Shilo

Nice Carbine. I've got one and they are handy weapons. Once you shoot one you understand why these weapons that were designed for support troops found their way to the front lines.

You do know the manufacture of the carbine is stamped in front of the serial number under the rear sight on the receiver heel?

I saw the pic you posted of the recoil plate that was stamped Standard Products and wondered if you thought that was where manufacture of the carbine was stamped?

phantomfixer

Yep...but with the adjustable sight mod I can't read the full stamping, just STXXXXX...looking at the pics online the only manufacturer to use a stamping with StXXXX was Standard Products...Saginaw is the only other manufacturer I saw with an S but it is stamped SAxxx not STxxx

And I didn't want to move the rear sight out of the dovetail....

what threw me was the barrel and was hoping that the barrel was original to the weapon being an Inland barrel, basically wanting to confirm that Inland was a barrel supplier to other carbine manufacturers....

OK, I wasnt sure you were aware. You should still be able to see the manufacture under the sight if you hold it just right up to the light

No way of knowing if that barrel is original to the receiver but Standard P did use some Inland barrels

Dirt Detective

Hi Phantomfixer,

What is the serial number. I would bet money the barrel is original to the gun and a 44 date this would be correct to have the later rear sight thats on it...not the early peep sight. A serial number should confirm this.

Dirt Detective

My Standard Products has a 3-43 Underwood Barrel

Hi Ronald,

Love the flaming ball on underwood barrels. Standard products didnt make barrels so you will see them with:

Inland, Underwood, Buffalo Arms, Marlin, Winchester or IBM

Rgds, Mike