M1903-A4 Remington With Two Groove Barrel?

Ben@HI

Probably a dumb question but I was always told the M1903-A4 only had a four groove barrel and if it had a 2 groove barrel it was either a re-barrel or fake. Is this true?

Probably a dumb question but I was always told the M1903-A4 only had a four groove barrel and if it had a 2 groove barrel it was either a re-barrel or fake. Is this true?

I do not know that is a correct statement. I have read that some M1903A4 rifles had two groove barrels when manufactured. After a rebuild, just about anything goes.

There is some information to be found on both the CMP and CSP forums related to this.

According to the article in Military Surplus Magazine, by Bruce Canfield, early production (the first few thousand) used four-grove barrels. After that, two-groove barrels were substituted to speed up production. Testing showed that there was no appreciable difference in accuracy could be found between the two types. So, the new design of barrel was just as accurate as the old.

thanks, the reason I asked was because I found an 03A4 but it had two groove barrel and I always heard they were supposed to have a 4 groove barrel

big al and freedom are correct,they went to 2 groove to speed up production,and as stated they shoot the same,i have a sporterized 03a3 with a 2 groove and i get 1/2 inch groups with my hand loads at 100 yds

I have a 03A4 that I acquired from the CMP several years ago. It was a lottery that you had to enter to allow you to purchase one for $600.00. It has a 2 groove barrel and shoots 1 in.groups with good ammo. I have a Lyman Alaskan scope on it. The closest I could find to original.

Bob G.