Rare USMC "Officers Type" Haversack

1stusmcdiv42

Awhile ago I picked up this rare "Officers Type" haversack for only a couple bucks. I have tried to do research on it, but alas I have come up with nothing. It seems to be an obscure piece of gear and I am hoping that you guys here can give me info on. I want to know about its use, how to wear it on a web gear set up along with what items would go with this, what would go in this, when was this first used by the Marines, when was it phased out ect.

post-79442-0-40100900-1419990995.jpg

post-79442-0-83872000-1419991003.jpg

None of my reference books have this pack in it, that being said I dont have Equipping the Corps, so maybe its in there? Anyway, I know this exists in the 1929 equipment manual, but this version predates the variation shown in that which uses a LTD instead of a regular button like this. I was told this is a WWI variation? But I have not seen a picture of it in use during WWI, which is why I want to know more about it and get the facts.

It is in ETC page 31 and it is a rare item. Described as the non commissioned officers haversack, earliest appearance in WWI, listed in the 1929 regs as well but not the 1937. Congrats, difficult item to find. Kevin

Very interesting item - I have never seen one before. So, is there supposed to be a strap for the hooks or does it attach to the pistol/cartridge belt or what?

Thank you for posting!

Best regards!

Bill K.

Ok, so this can be used on a Marine officers kit in WWI then, good to know. Now, what would its contents have been? I can see at least a mess kit should go in there but what else?

Also does anyone have pictures of this is use? The only photo I have seen is in the 1929 equipment regs and I would love to see a pic of a Marine in WWI using it.

Bellumbill I would not have been surprised if there was some sort of strap issued with this so it could be carried on the shoulder. In the equipment manual it shows a marine with this attached to his pistol belt along with a canteen, .45 holster with ammo pouch, first aid pouch, and suspenders.

Here's a pic from Equipping the Corps showing the haversack in use. Description next to picture: WW1 Photograph showing an NCO wearing thew haversack at the left front of formation(NARA).

post-104203-0-99134300-1420062369.jpg

Fantastic photo! Infact I have seen this picture many times and never noticed he was carrying that bag! Very cool and thanks for sharing.

No straps for the bag, attached direct to cartridge belt as depicted in the photo. Would probably carried the same type of items carried in any other haversack. In WWI probably a bacon can and condiment can, extra socks,maybe an extra shirt,personal items, etc.

1stusmcdiv42

What about the officers blanket, shelter half ect....I know officers had access to bedrolls that contained those items which were transported with the other equipment.

Need to clarify that your haversack by title is intended for NCO's use, non comms not officer. The officers bedroll was introduced in the late 30s I believe but again intended for officers. I would imagine the NCO's would have carried that type of equipment in the pack not haversack. Unfortunately I am not aware of a "junk on the bunk" type of photo that might clearly depict how one of these was packed.